Just broke down :(

Been on this forum quite a few years now and can only recall one instance of a cambelt snapping and can't recall at all of valves bending... Lets hope its not either of them..

Reactions: Jimmy
Been on this forum quite a few years now and can only recall one instance of a cambelt snapping and can't recall at all of valves bending... Lets hope its not either of them..
It's usually the idler roller that fails from previous experience. On the 1*2's, the aux belt tensioner seizes and allows the aux belt to walk across to the cambelt when on full lock. The rest is history once they make contact with each other.

Reactions: sevenfourate
The RAC dude thinks the timing belt has skipped, it's not snapped. He can still see movement inside so thinks it's not terminal, I was at lights and switched it off straight away, it's home now and I'm soaked and the missus is moaning. :smile:

Are these an interference fit engine guys and gals ?

ie: Do the valves extend to an area where they may come into contact with the piston if the timing is out ?

Are these an interference fit engine guys and gals ?

ie: Do the valves extend to an area where they may come into contact with the piston if the timing is out ?
It all depends on how far out the timing is tbh mate. Inlet - generally they don't touch, but exhausts do as the piston is always chasing it closed. 1 tooth jumped equates to around a 14-17 degree advance. From memory that is.
I know these engines very well. :grinning:

Reactions: sevenfourate
Thanks everyone. My long term mechanic friend is coming to diagnose the damage this Thursday or Friday evening all being well. My immediate concern is finding somewhere safer to move it to as it's currently outside my house on street (busy) and my locals are not the most caring, so I can visualize the car being damaged if it doesn't move which is only going to make things worse. Unfortunately my mechanic is between houses at the moment otherwise his driveway would have been the perfect place.

Further to this is the actual damage and the cost to repair it, I don't know if I can warrant spending upwards of 1k to fix this, i've literally had the car a few months and I purchased it outright with savings and i've already spent a great deal on it since then. I don't know what to do for the best at this stage which is horrible as I literally love this car. At the risk of sounding all doom and gloom, 2016 has been a dreadful year for me with cars, costs and job redundancies etc. I can only keep my fingers crossed that no truly expensive damage has been done, maybe I'll feel better over the coming days but today, i'm in a bad place :worried:

Keep on in there mate! hopefully will be nice and easy fix!
You have already invested in the car as you say so it would be such a shame to get rid of it!

What a bummer!
If you end up needing a new engine, there's someone on here or CSOC on Facebook selling one as I think they're having a Meg conversion. It's at Two Techs in Dartford if you needed to give them a call.

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
Hang in there, things always seem worse at first than they actually are. At least you're good friends with a mechanic who can sort you out with a good deal, and fingers crossed it's nothing major.
If you love the car then stick with it, when all is fixed you'll look back in 6 months and be glad you did, I think we've all been there at one point or another.

Sorry to hear the bad news mate! Just try and relax before you find out the actual damage, fingers crossed it won't be a too expensive fix and it'll be back on the road before you know it!

Hope everything is sorted for you ASAP!