Keyless entry, please explain?

Hi, just got my 197 today and love it. Slighty worried about the keyless entry, how does this work. I locked the car with the card by clicking the lock button twice. I went back to the car pulled the handle twice with the keycard in my pocket and the car unlocked and opened.

When I have the keycard in my house can I walk up to the car and tug the handle and the car will open, my room where I have the keycard overlooks the car so want to know the distance it works for?

Is the keyless something I could deactivate, I would rather lock it with a button especially if it can be opened or started if the keycards not all that far away?

Strange, my door won't open anything over circa 6 foot and the car won't start if the key card isn't inside of the cabin.

Not to sound rude but are you sure the door was locked? Instead of actually opening the door, just slide you hand behind the handle to activate the sensor.. Do you hear the click of the door unlocking?

Last edited:
It won't work from your room.
Imagine a circle around your doors and boot this is the area your car can 'sense' the keycard and unlock. You can test this by having someone hold the keycard a set distance and trying to unlock it.
Pressing the buttons on the keycard unlocks it from greater distance. As it doesn't require the keyless sensors, just works as a normal fob.

As above car won't start without the keycard being in the cabin.
With it in the boot or even just outside the car it won't start as the start sensor is on its own and not connected to the keyless unlock sensors.

Hope this makes some sense as that's how I understand it.

Btw the keyless sensors have a very small range. When I tested it I couldn't get mine to unlock from 3/4 steps back from the door.

Tiababy is right, you have to be very close for it to work. Also, you can lock the car by pressing the button on the drivers or passengers door handle and the centre of the Renault badge on the boot. In reality, you never need to remove the card from your pocket when using the car. It's a great system and works well.

why are you locking it with the card , you can use the buttons on the door handle , push them twice to deadlock the car and the pull the handle straightaway to check if its locked . if it opens you have a problem with the door lock , on the clio i think you have a distance of 1.25 meters to be out of range of the opening sensor ( it could be more it's been a while)

why are you locking it with the card , you can use the buttons on the door handle , push them twice to deadlock the car and the pull the handle straightaway to check if its locked . if it opens you have a problem with the door lock , on the clio i think you have a distance of 1.25 meters to be out of range of the opening sensor ( it could be more it's been a while)

if hes got his keycard on him when he pulls the handle after locking its going to open as its detecting his keycard, which is normal

not if he pulls the handle as soon as he locks it you have about 20 seconds b4 the keycard is detected again, if it reopens str8 away then he has a problem /or he can take the keys in the house and come back out and try the door lock lol

Last edited:
Hi, just got my 197 today and love it. Slighty worried about the keyless entry, how does this work. I locked the car with the card by clicking the lock button twice. I went back to the car pulled the handle twice with the keycard in my pocket and the car unlocked and opened.

When I have the keycard in my house can I walk up to the car and tug the handle and the car will open, my room where I have the keycard overlooks the car so want to know the distance it works for?

Is the keyless something I could deactivate, I would rather lock it with a button especially if it can be opened or started if the keycards not all that far away?

I picked up my 200 the other day and have the same problem, I walked 30 yards down the street and my girlfriend unlocked the car putting her hand in the handle!

mine only works from a couple of feet,

but the keyless thing all feels abit useless on a clio as it doenst lock straight away when you walk off, but it works on the older shape megane IIRC

and it doesnt work if your phone is in the same pocket,

its a cool feature just needs refining

mine only works from a couple of feet,

but the keyless thing all feels abit useless on a clio as it doenst lock straight away when you walk off, but it works on the older shape megane IIRC

The car doesn't lock its self like the megane system when you walk away, you need to push the button on the handle or card to lock the car, if you just shut the door and walk off your leaving your car unlocked!

As for the original op if your worried about where the card will be read from why not just leave it in the house, go outside and see if the car opens when you pull the handle? I'd bet a months wages that it wont as you have to be stood right next to it for it to work.

It's a good system, never had problems with mine and just left the card in my wallet, the mrs did the same but just left it festering in her handbag

Thanks for all the replies, I found when I got off my arse and tried it doesn't work inside the house. I understand now how the locking works with the handle and probably won't ever plug the card in, it just jangles around annoyingly anyway.

Seems like a good system, shame it was never explained to me how to use it.

not if he pulls the handle as soon as he locks it you have about 20 seconds b4 the keycard is detected again, if it reopens str8 away then he has a problem /or he can take the keys in the house and come back out and try the door lock lol

Normal takes two pulls after locking before it opens

Normal takes two pulls after locking before it opens

Does anyone else ever find that they pull the handle at the same time the car has unlocked itself, so that the car is unlocked, but the driver's handle won't open the car? Very annoying when you have to lock it again and wait for it to unlock again!

I think ive had that once in a blue moon. Just lock it and unlock again

The car doesn't lock its self like the megane system when you walk away, you need to push the button on the handle or card to lock the car, if you just shut the door and walk off your leaving your car unlocked!

As for the original op if your worried about where the card will be read from why not just leave it in the house, go outside and see if the car opens when you pull the handle? I'd bet a months wages that it wont as you have to be stood right next to it for it to work.

It's a good system, never had problems with mine and just left the card in my wallet, the mrs did the same but just left it festering in her handbag

i know you have to press the button on the door just i dont understand why the older megane has this feature and the new clios dont why didnt they just use the same system

the old megane isn't walk away either its bascially the same as the clio , i have had handsfree now on a clio/ and new and old meganes , the only difference between old clio nazd megane was the electric windows close up on them

i know you have to press the button on the door just i dont understand why the older megane has this feature and the new clios dont why didnt they just use the same system

I think the old Lagunas had it when it first came out that when you walked away the car locked and when you walked back they unlocked but I vaguely remember hearing that it got changed due to insurance type stuff......I may be wrong mind and just made all that up!