KTR fast road brakes upgrade?

I wouldn't personally go for it, drilled disks are more hassle than they're worth.

If brembo HC discs are available then I'd go for them

I don't see the problem with drilled disks tbh. People will come out with the scare stories that they break but in truth that's very very rare.

The following points are from research conducted by D2 brakes..

Drilled disks offer multiple advantages over plain disks:

They are lighter than plain and the gain is significant as it is unsprung rather than sprung.

Brake rotor cooling improved at all speeds. The faster the speed the greater the temperature differential between plain and drilled.

Increased braking output at all speeds for the same pedal pressure.

More stable braking performance with more consistant pedal feel and reduced pedal travel at all temperatures.

Upto 37% greater brake output at higher temperatures for the same pedal pressure compared to plain rotors.

Drilled rotors prevent the pads from glazing unlike plain rotors.

27% better wet braking performance at lower pedal pressures as the holes allow superior water dispersal allowing proper pad to rotor contact.

Lower pedal pressure compared to plain mean less caliper flex so reduced radial taper wear.

Massive reduction in hot spots and pad deposits compared to plain massively reduces judder issues.

You get 2 types of 'drilled' discs, those that are cast with the holes already in them and those which are cast as solid and then drilled. The parts look the same to the naked eye but get them under a microscope and you'll see the grain structure is different.
When you cask the holes then the grain flows around the hole but if you drill them then the grain is broken and you get a stress concentration.

Stress concentrations will eventually lead to cracks if you're pushing the discs. These cracks will start off as very faint hairline surface cracks from the holes but can eventually lead to complete disc failure which you really don't want!

Either way, I've used solid and grooved discs (arguably better than drilled in every way) and didn't notice any major differences.

Stick to standard, they look better than drilled IMO anyway

I wouldn't personally go for it, drilled disks are more hassle than they're worth.

If brembo HC discs are available then I'd go for them

I not sure if the Brembo ones for my car are HC or not to be honest I just know they do produce them for my car.

Thanks for the info Fernandez, I personally can't see a problem with drilled discs.

does anyone know from experience what KTR's setup is like? Might just give it a go and see what happens they can be bad or worse than standard or they wouldn't sell them surely?!!

You get 2 types of 'drilled' discs, those that are cast with the holes already in them and those which are cast as solid and then drilled. The parts look the same to the naked eye but get them under a microscope and you'll see the grain structure is different.
When you cask the holes then the grain flows around the hole but if you drill them then the grain is broken and you get a stress concentration.

Stress concentrations will eventually lead to cracks if you're pushing the discs. These cracks will start off as very faint hairline surface cracks from the holes but can eventually lead to complete disc failure which you really don't want!

Either way, I've used solid and grooved discs (arguably better than drilled in every way) and didn't notice any major differences.

Stick to standard, they look better than drilled IMO anyway

Ah I didn't know that!! I guess there is no way of know unless ktec are willing to supply this information, I can get the Brembo ones from the brake guy over on cliosport for around £80-90 for front discs and pads delivered. Fit them myself. With all the varying opinions it might just come down to how much money I have to play with when the time comes (need doing soon though!)

KTR ones will 100% be drilled, its only the 'drilled' discs on things like porsche's that are cast, they're a lot more expensive.

You really won't notice any difference having the holes.

Wasn't really the fact it has holes on I was after to be honest just want something with a bit more bite to the friction materials than the standard ones I can get through work. Also if anyone can point me in the direction to get a set of braided hoses that would be great as I can't seem to find any for the non-sport MK3