KW V1 vs H&R coilovers

sir_dave

Paid Member
With the collection of my 197 cup around the corner, i am now looking into potential ways to perfect it ...

I understand that the H&R's are a little firmer (potentially better on track) and offer scope for a lower ride height at the rear, but the KW V1's are less firmly damped for a more compliant ride on the road ... They are also £150 or so cheaper, which would pay for the Ultra Racing rear ARB that will also be fitted at the same time.

My interest is from a handling perspective really, whilst an improvement in looks via lowering of say -20mm is nice, i am more interested in obtaining a similar handling balance to that of my Trophy, i.e. strong front end bite, with a tendency for oversteer when on/approachng the limit of adhesion.

Damper adjustment is not really something that i am interested in paying extra for really, i also found the additional of the Whiteline ARB to the Trophy added the additional rear end stiffness that i was after.

Alternatively, does someone like Bilstein/Koni offer a damper only solution for the 197, that could potentially be partnered with some of the H&R springs?

Your thoughts? :smile:

I had the kw1s and thought they were a definate improvement on road n track over 200 cup suspension.
Personally though i would lower the front 25mm and rear no more than 15mm. Otherwise large bumps/potholes can cause some minor grief. I had 30mm front n 20mm (max on rear) and felt raising that 5mm would have made it even better.
Also the kws dont rust at all 8)

i am more interested in obtaining a similar handling balance to that of my Trophy, i.e. strong front end bite, with a tendency for oversteer when on/approachng the limit of adhesion.

I haven't driven a trophy to be honest with you mate but for a second I thought you were describing a stock 197 there:tongue_smilie:

I did some research for the suspension and personally (and for the way I use my car of course) I can not justify paying so much money for a coil over. Renault has done a fantastic job setting up the car so for me a RARB, a thicker fARB (from the 200 cup, 19mm) and a set of H&Rs 30mm all around will do the job. To be honest I'm so happy with how the car handles that I'm a bit reluctant to even change the springs. I don't even know what their rate is (popped a question in the past but no one knows apparently). I just hope that they won't ruin the handling because if they do i'm so removing them. Looks are good, but not that good (to me anyway). :smile:

If you go for the H&Rs I would recommend protecting them with some sealant as they do rust when untreated. I treated my set but they still corroded slightly.

I, like Daz, moved up to the Clubsports now but I'd recommend a practical ride height. I didnt go too low as I (More so the wife didnt't) want to have to drive everywhere worrying about scraping.

My ride height:

6993951345_51e1c635a1_b.jpg

Also, on track do you intend on using semi slicks (R888s or similar) as even the H&Rs aint quite stiff enough to eradicate some major nose diving on hard breaking, turn in etc.

Just look at Simo's progress thread for pics.

Also, on track do you intend on using semi slicks (R888s or similar) as even the H&Rs aint quite stiff enough to eradicate some major nose diving on hard breaking, turn in etc.

Wouldnt be using R888's no, i found that they simply made things too easy in the Trophy. Quicker yes, but more fun? Not especially, clio doesnt have enough power to warrant them i dont think. Nose diving isnt an issue that id want to erradicate completely anyways (unless its ridiculous) - purely as the weight transfer helps with front end bite!

I do like your ride height though, although i would perhaps have it a little higher at the rear to keep the standard rake.

Did the H&R's rust badly then? Its more than likely that i'll only keep the car a year or so, so would like the coilovers to stay in decent enough condition to sell on at the end of my ownership ...

Wouldnt be using R888's no, i found that they simply made things too easy in the Trophy. Quicker yes, but more fun? Not especially, clio doesnt have enough power to warrant them i dont think. Nose diving isnt an issue that id want to erradicate completely anyways (unless its ridiculous) - purely as the weight transfer helps with front end bite!

I do like your ride height though, although i would perhaps have it a little higher at the rear to keep the standard rake.

Did the H&R's rust badly then? Its more than likely that i'll only keep the car a year or so, so would like the coilovers to stay in decent enough condition to sell on at the end of my ownership ...

I wouldnt say badly no. But I did protect them with some metal sealant/treatment from day one (Spray stuff on and rub in once).

I sold them to Jonesy on here and he had no complaints as to how they were when they arrived.

Similar Thread Suggestions