Looking for a 197 (Not anymore)

Hey guys, Iv just registered as I'm looking to get a 197.

I currently have an rx8 but the fuel is killing me and iv had so many hot hatches I can't resist the urge to get another.

There's two things that are swaying me towards a 197 and ones the fact that the handling in the rx8 was unbelievably good and I feel that the Clio is the hottest of hothatches in that department and secondly cause iv not had one before so want something new.

Is there anything in particular I should look out for when looking? And also what's the reliability like? I know Renault have a bad rep but iv had a 1.2 mk2 clio before and tbh had no problems so is it even bad?

Thanks alot guys hope to have one very soon

Danny

Last edited:
welcome mate
depends on what spec you want
they all got different issuse but they are brill8)

I havnt really got the pennies to stretch towards a cup or f1 so it will just be the basic spec 197, also what's the standard speakers/sound system like? I doubt it's going to be as good as the Bose in mine but is it okay ish

Thanks for the quick reply

Danny

:welcome: dude!

Suspension is purchasable separately I believe!

Good luck with the search for the car! You'll not regret it!

yes mate there are loads of options
you can make loads of mods to them
but if you want stiffer suspension and all
that you would be better of with the cup
there is so much choice out there at the moment
all depends what youre going to do with it

If you want all round performance and comfort, the standard 197 is the way to go. The Cup model is completely differently in terms of spec, not many luxuries, but stiffer suspension and slightly better handling. But they're not any quicker in a straight line. The standard 197 was available with the cup suspension and is distiguishable by the red Brembo calipers (standard ones are silver Brembos) and the anthracite alloys. This also goes for the R27 F1 Team. Based on what you have atm, I would suggest one of these 2.
A lot of optional extras were available from new, so it's all about finding the right one for you needs. However, the standard 197 has Cruise Control, keyless entry and start and colour coded exterior plastics that weren't available on the Cup model.

The only option I insisted on having were the headlight upgrade, from normal bulds with a silver surround, to projector lamps with a grey surround.

Good luck and welcome to the site. Hope I have helped!

Thankyou that was very informative, are there any reliability issues that the 197 are renown for? I'm guessing not as iv not read about many and I hear Renault have really improved on quality control alot

Danny

Keyless entry buttons on the door handles fail, seats are very prone to wear, leather steering wheels can look nasty relatively quickly, all of them are v. lumpy to drive when cold.

Upgraded "Cabasse" stereo is very good, give you a 6CD in dash, but who uses CD's these days?

Fuel economy isn't great, low 30's if you take it v. steady. 6th gear on earlier cars is very short (circa 3,800rpm @ 70mph), improved some time around 2007 build.

Some people have had some horror stories with theirs, but many others have been very reliable.

Okay thanks, im not too fussed about mpg as im averaging 15 in the rx8 :s

I know theres a few more 'ecomonical' hot hatches about but the clio really is taking my fancy

Ill get some pics up as soon as i get one

Danny

Hey Cooper,

I have just swapped my 2004 RX-8 231bhp for a 197 R27 F1.

To be honest I wasn’t sure I was doing the right thing at first but the more I drive it the more I love it! The 26mpg I am getting at the moment (obviously not driving that economically) seems ultra efficient after the Mazda.

Also getting used to the noise at the moment which is a surprise to how loud it gets on full tilt.

Only thing I wish I could change is the really high driving position when compared to the RX-8.

I hope its not too high as i hate high driving positions, but iv had a few cars like that so you do get used to it i suppose.

So you think you made the right desision? out of interest how much you get for the rex? was it a px or private sale

Danny

Am slowly getting used to the driving postion, am 6'3 so maybe that is a factor aswell.

I think I have as I had quite a few big bills coming my way with the rex. I loved my Honda Accord Type-R and the 197 is giving me the same driving pleasure I got from that. Always puts a smile on my face when I give it some hammer.

My Rex was 2004 231bhp, blue, 50k on the clock. I sold it private for £4,750 as I wanted a quick sale (was offered £3,500 in P/x).

Lots of things I miss about the car but the time was right to get rid.

Right iv been for a test drive in a 197 now and also my mate took me out in his 200.

First impressions: looks very nice, love the keyless entry, interior not as good as the vxr i had but the standard FF seats were much grippier than the recaros i had. I was quite impressed with the amount of torque it had and also the noise was a big plus.

Left feeling good about the choice im making to switch from the rx8 to a 197.

Then later that day my mate offered to take me out in his 200 and WOW, obviously he drove it how it should be driven and even as a passenger i had a massive grin!! The brakes are superb and the handling is epic! The one thing i loved was the noise his made as he had removed the top lid off the airbox and the thing just growled.

I left wanting a 200!!! But unfortunately my money want stretch that far so 197 it is.

The only quoble i have with it is the driving position but im sure ill get used to this over time.

All i have to do now is get rid of the 8 and get my new car

Danny

good luck with the sale of yours mate
you will love the 197 when you get her
200 ugly anyway:eek:lol

They are not all lumpy to drive when cold ,some are some are not ,my R27 has allways been very good from cold.My 197 by comparision was a dangerous nightmare hot or cold.Pulling away in first was a really bad afair untill the reflash and patch were done by Renault which completely cured it.
And don't forget if you try and rev them to hard before they are fully warm the rev-limiter will cut in very low to protect the still warming engine.This makes it feel lumpy .