Lowered Cup and 18" Handling

Can someone tell me how does lowering affect a 200 cup and how far did you lower it by?

Also how does 18" change the handling of the car?

I think that Woody would be a good man to ask on this.

His is lowered on KW V3's and 18" Megane alloys. Looks amazing and he says it handles like it is on rails!

if you're going the KW V1 or V3's route then the 18's should be fine, I had a go in mine on 18s with standard non cup and it seemed like the suspension isnt stiff enough for the larger wheels, car felt a little disconnected.... but should be fine with a proper setup

18s won't make you understeer. How could they?

What they do however is make the car worse unless you're getting something like an OZ lightweight wheel.

If you remember back in Physics, rotating mass (particularly with a big heavy Megane wheel) has many detrimental effects the larger the diameter. Slower steering response due to the gyroscopic effect and being harder to accelerate/decelerate, as a couple of examples in terms of cars. More effort required by the engine and brakes accordingly.

There's also the issue of the unsprung weight. The suspension is designed to work with a certain load, you put on a heavier wheel, it becomes crashy...people often think it is the change in profile, it's more often the extra 3-4kg they have bouncing up and down in the arch.

Ideally for best performance you want the smallest, lightest wheels you can find... However, all this is useless if you just want them to look nice as most people do, but bear it in mind.

Last edited:
what fitment is it to fit my 197? ive heard its like 65 because of the caliper... i reeally want 18's aswell but dont know which i can even look at that are going to fit..

I'm pretty sure the standard offset is ET68?

So, going up to an 8" rim, you'd ideally want something in the range of ET60-50 to account for the extra width on the tyre near the strut and not push it outboard too far.

Hmmmm interesting. Shall i have my say from the experience ive had? They fit snug as a bug. Kwv3 makes them look naughty as hell but on a handeling point of veiw. Yes its okay but 17's beat them hands down on track. Understeer not so much but scrubbing yes + tyres are more expensive and they buckle easier.

had or got both on mine now using r26r wheels

think ultimately 17 are perfect for ultimate handling/ride but for looks 18s and if you get some "better" tyres nearly as good :thumbsup:

The 197 has the same set up as the 230 on the front -1 or 2 things so they are fine.

mines lowered on cup suspension with 40mm H&R lowering springs, and 18" oz Ultraleggeras.
TBH, it handles ok, wouldnt say amazing, but alot better than most other cars ive owned, some even on coilovers.

but my honest opinion, and yet to be tested, is that coilovers an 17s would be the best combo, and what i will eventually be doing to mine.

also, be careful with what wheels you choose, 2 of my ozs have cracked, not what youd expect from a wheel u pay £330 each for :whatever:

Ah, light OZs have always been fragile - our potholed roads don't help. They discontinued the Superleggera because they had so many sent back shaped like 50ps.

IMG_0177-1.jpg
IMG_0010.jpg

looks wise, i think it looks bang on (but im biased lol)

but im SURE 17s an coilies would still look equally as good, but handle better too.

an as to the ozs, id look at something else lol