LY Re-spray

petercronin

Paid Member
Hi all,

I've heard various people mention that LY is an utter nightmare to match. I was just wondering if this is actually the case or if these stories are exaggerated a bit.

Also, does anyone have any experience/recommendations with paint shops in or near north east England. I'm based near Newcastle but I'd be willing to travel a bit for a guaranteed good job. I'm needing a front end re-spary (the black and yellow parts) I've got various stone chips and a few bits of peeling laquer that are annoying me.

Where are you based Peter?

It is difficult to get right, but not impossible. I have used Repair & Restore in Goole to repair and spray my rear bumper and they did a fantastic job. Unfortunately I will be using them again soon.

Reactions: smithandroper
Very difficult, the amount of fleks they use in each variation of LY also changes.

When I was on the yorkshire run a year back, next to @foxspeed 's megane trophy, you could see quite the difference between colours, even though on paper they are the same..

Last edited:
Reactions: petercronin
Where are you based Peter?

It is difficult to get right, but not impossible. I have used Repair & Restore in Goole to repair and spray my rear bumper and they did a fantastic job. Unfortunately I will be using them again soon.

I live near Newcastle, I might consider going to Goole if nothing comes up nearer to me. They'll obviously need the car for a couple of days so I'll need to sort getting home and back there again. One to think about thanks.

Reactions: smithandroper
I'd heard it was a nightmare to match and crossed it off the list of colours to buy but when you see LY it just looks so good I couldn't resist buying my R27.

I live near Newcastle, I might consider going to Goole if nothing comes up nearer to me. They'll obviously need the car for a couple of days so I'll need to sort getting home and back there again. One to think about thanks.
Worth giving them a call as they have loan cars.

Not as bad as people say.

My previous LY 197 had a new tailgate and roof trims under corrosion warranty and the match was spot on.

Thanks for the replies. I'll give them a shout and see what they can do but I'm going to have to put this off for a bit. The Mrs has went and revered into a bollard and put a nice big dent & scrape in the back of her car so going to have to get that sorted first. Probably have to pay rather than go down the insurance route as I'm guessing the excess and premium increase will be more than the repair

If the body shop makes up a few test cards with different layers of the pearl coat to see how many they need to match your car, it shouldn't be a problem.

I had my rear quarter and rear bumper done and was a bit nervous that it'd be a shit job. But the body shop did a cracking job to be fair to them.

I'm originally from Sunderland but this spray place is in Crewe, south east of Manchester so would be a hell of a trek for you lol!

Are spray shack still trading? It may be worth shipping the bumper off to them if you can't find anyone local.

Are spray shack still trading? It may be worth shipping the bumper off to them if you can't find anyone local.

SprayShack are definitely still around as Simon has painted up loads for me recently and done a cracking job in matching Malta blue (which apparently has 9 different colours in the mix). He is busy so may not reply to emails straight away but he is always easy to get hold of on the phone.

Reactions: knuckles