Melted steering wheel issues

iAndy

Platinum Member
Well after a crap day at work I got a call back from RUK customer services, my steering wheel is melting on the top, not the thumb grips but across the top. Been given two options which I don't know if to reject them both and stick out or not.

Option 1 - Brand new wheel free of charge - but with no warranty
Option 2 - 90% contribution towards a new steering wheel

In all truth am hacked off that I have to waste time taking a car back in the first time, being self employed am gonna be outta pocket just in the time going to the garage with it, but having to pay to keep a warranty on a new steering wheel is just annoying. In all truth it's a minor thing that I just think if this is how they go about warranty issues, what happens with the gearbox if the normal self destruction occurs......

Feel like getting a wheel FOC and then getting rid of it and getting a shiny new Astra VXR, despite preferring the lovely red bull racing Megane 265 that I can't stop looking at am just a bit over it in all truth.

What's people's thoughts? Anyone had similar issues and what was your outcome from RUK.

I have the same problem with my 197. I complained to RUK and they offered me a 50% discount.

The he above was before I worked for a Renault dealer, in my experience since working for a dealer and in my experience liaising with customer services, Renault are extremely good at keeping their customers happy (and mobile) if your car is in for work such as gearbox etc.

Well I've accepted their 100% offer and no further warranty on the wheel as the car is now going for sale! And am in bad books now or outta pocket as was meant to be getting a little twingo for other half but she ain't allowed it. Not giving Renault anymore money and that nice new van we are ordering is no longer gonna be a Renault! Time to leave the fold. It's been a lovely car but not getting told by someone that it's melted due to sunlight and therefore it's wear and tear! Have to pay £46 to get one with a one year warranty! Nope don't think so!! If a car ain't supposed to go out in daylight why sell them to people who drive them during the day and don't store in a garage!

Mine started to melt at the end of last summer, in the 10/2 o'clock positions. Just before the three year warranty was due, I took it to my local dealer and they replaced it with no quibble.

Mines at the top where ya don't even hold it. They have told me the fault is due to being driven in daylight so will only accept 90% of the cost! The car has only been driven on rare occasions since this happened as I no longer want to get in and that be the first thing that I see. It's such a pathetic small minor thing that has ruined the ownership of an otherwise great car. Just taking photo's ready to do an autotrader advert. Agreed a part exchange value in the last hour against another car but in all truth think would rather just sell this and stick with my Mazda for time being. Totally unhappy with RUK worst car I've ever had for problem satisfaction. Car has only done 14k! Got a skoda Octavia with 210,000 miles on it. Original steering wheel and in better condition than mine!

Mine has a small melt at the top from when I bought it on 13k miles, which is ridiculous really.

What plate is your 200? Perhaps I should ring RUK?

Mines a 12 plate, it's just crazy that so many people have this problem. Yet it's the owners fault for driving it in daylight lol

ah right so still under warranty, I am at the mercy of 'goodwill' being a 59 plate.

cheers.