Mileage Range Inaccuracy

Clairey-Lou

Platinum Member
Just wanted to see if anyone else had experience the same thing in their 197's ... I fill up my tank and it gives me 357 miles, I drive home (2 minute drive) get in my car the next day and it's down to 206 miles. I can then drive 60+ miles with it staying at 206 miles on the range before it then drops to 263 miles! Then it does the same again and stays on that for a while.

I use the normal petrol gauge as there it far more accurate but I wonder if anyone knows why this happens?

It will vary alot especially after a short drive as fuel economy is very poor when the engine is cold so I your reviving 2 miles the car will prob average 20mpg until I warms up. then I you go for a long drive the average mpg will rise and drag your expected fuel rage up with it.

It will vary alot especially after a short drive as fuel economy is very poor when the engine is cold so I your reviving 2 miles the car will prob average 20mpg until I warms up. then I you go for a long drive the average mpg will rise and drag your expected fuel rage up with it.

as said its this! the average range will go up as you drive due to the mpg figure improving "if" you do a long enough drive...if its short trips then it will vary alot

But I filled up fully the other weekend and had 357, I then got in the car and started driving to Hampshire and it dropped after about 5 miles to 306 and stayed there for the whole journey and when I got in it the next day it was still on 306?

I filled up fully (till it clicked) last night and it had 357 then drove to work this morning and it said 306 again :S

I dont tend to rally it out of the petrol station as its a built up area towards home ... It's not a major problem but it's just weird that it drops like it does.

But I filled up fully the other weekend and had 357, I then got in the car and started driving to Hampshire and it dropped after about 5 miles to 306 and stayed there for the whole journey and when I got in it the next day it was still on 306?

I filled up fully (till it clicked) last night and it had 357 then drove to work this morning and it said 306 again :S

I dont tend to rally it out of the petrol station as its a built up area towards home ... It's not a major problem but it's just weird that it drops like it does.

everytime you start it and drive its recalculating the range left due to fuel in the tank and average mpg figure - the longer the journey the more accurate the figure will become..

and of course you could be driving it exactly the same and putting in within reason the same amount of fuel so the
numbers will be very consistent

10 gallon in the tank and its doing 30mpg = 300mile but if you boot it or sit in traffic and it drops to 28mpg it will be 280mile ish (as it wil have also used fuel in the tank) as you can see its a moving target!

Last edited:
It makes me mad though lol ... But why is it always the same numbers? I totally understand that it goes up and down depending on how far or how fast you drive but it always hits 357 then drops to 306? ... Its like they are default numbers? x

It makes me mad though lol ... But why is it always the same numbers? I totally understand that it goes up and down depending on how far or how fast you drive but it always hits 357 then drops to 306? ... Its like they are default numbers? x

No default numbers, can only imagine its a fluke.

Mine says 357 miles after filling up every time. I've done over 100 miles in the past before its changed. And I always get home from the petrol station and back to work (38 miles) before it drops any miles at all.

I've honestly never used this feature on any car I've owned, I don't even pay attention to fuel consumption until the bleep deafens me.

But it just jumps from one number to another ... so even if I go on a long journey it doesnt "countdown" it will just start at 206 then stay then drop down the next time I start it :S
Maybe I need to start resetting it....