Mini project - Cup Racer Alloys

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
Originally I wasn't sure what these were for but I just fancied some speedlines and a second set of wheels.

So thanks to Steve at JHR Dev. I acquired a set of ex-cup racer alloys, which all looked quote sorry for themselves.

5154336182_4c557f7e62.jpg

I almost went the back alley route and sprayed them myself, but with a club discount at TWS in Leeds I took them there and left them with them for a week (I knew they were going to require some time, I'm sure they didn't do them in their usual day/afternoon time scale).

Got them back as per below and was grinning like a schoolboy!

5110565651_c3b64af262.jpg

Then it was time for some rubber! I looked at all sorts including R888s, Yoko AO48s, Dunlops etc. etc.
In the end I went for some Yoko AD08s, which considering they were just over £100 a corner and clearly have a larger surface area then anything else in the price range I consider them a good buy so far ( still scrubbing them in ).

5146372567_50e8610879.jpg

So on they went with the help of a local tyre fitter and some cash :thumbup1:

5148175259_1996a78a33_z.jpg

And from today with the sun out, it almost makes Doncaster look habitable :tongueout:anic:

5153712135_7f5f22ea8a_b.jpg

Questions welcomed :smile:

Oooo very nice! They have come up really well considering the state they were in to begin with. Are these the cup racer alloys that were on ebay?

Oooo very nice! They have come up really well considering the state they were in to begin with. Are these the cup racer alloys that were on ebay?

Same guy but someone off here gave me his number ages before he started ebaying stuff.

Yeh TWS did a good job I was pretty suprised that they came out so well.

Just went out for a mammoth drive and the Yoko tyres are fantastic, definately ahead in terms of dry grip from the contis.

Looking really good!

Does the steering feel any different, as these are a slightly different offset aren't they?

They definitely feel different but I think that is down to the tyres, they have a lot more dry grip it seems and are actually quieter than the contis !

Love these in gloss black!

IMG_27851.jpg

May seem a strange question, but did you get to handle the Yoko's before they were fitted?

Just wondering how thick / stiff the sidewalls are??

:smile:

May seem a strange question, but did you get to handle the Yoko's before they were fitted?

Just wondering how thick / stiff the sidewalls are??

:smile:

They were sat in my hall for a day or two and I had the fun of fitting all of it in the car to take them to the fitter so handled yes :smile:

The side walls and generally the whole structure seemed very stiff, I did manage to get out with them on the car for a blast and while I've not experienced full slicks on a car I can tell you they provide much more grip than you can use on the road and I'm very happy I didn't blow the full amount on Toyo's at the moment.

The side walls and generally the whole structure seemed very stiff, I did manage to get out with them on the car for a blast and while I've not experienced full slicks on a car I can tell you they provide much more grip than you can use on the road and I'm very happy I didn't blow the full amount on Toyo's at the moment.

Sweet :biggrin:

Toss up between these and Bridgestone REO70, which ive had in the past and know are fantastic :bounce:

These look great, did TWS powdercoat or spray/bake?

Weighing up getting my second set of cup racer rims done the same in the gloss black or cherry red. White is such a pita to keep clean.

Similar Thread Suggestions