More £££,

Dropped off my car this morning to Birchdown near Malpas for my Cambelt and a 5 year service.

They have rang me and said that they were going to remove the brakes and shave them to improve the performance a little (my braking is a little poor at the moment). Just got a call and the brake pads seem to be seized in the calliper and it looks as though it's going to need new discs and pads...

Can anyone suggest anywhere to purchase these from? Birchdown have advised that with them buying from Renault and fitting front discs, pads and new pins etc it will be around the £400 mark.

Can these be found for any less? As I've just shelled out £699 on the car I don't think I can warrant another 400 quid any time soon.

How do brake pads get seized? Surely you cab just take the caliper off and bang the pads out?

It is possible if they've not been greased properly when fitted that the backing plate has stuck to the caliper. If they stick hard enough it can be tricky to get them out without damaging them. I can see where they're coming from with regards to not wanting to bash them out if the customer isn't willing to buy new ones. Especially if they're already on their way out it could be better to just replace than arse about trying to get them out without ruining them if they're mostly shot anyway.

Yeah I get that impression from him, backing plates stuck to the calliper etc.

Don't get me wrong he was a true gent about it. Told me that the pads would need bashing out and he didn't want to go to the point of no return if I didn't have the extra whack to pay out for new pads etc if those ones crumble. Just need to get it done.

He thinks it's also why my car's pulling to the left a bit and why my steering wheel shakes quite a lot under medium braking. Need to get them sorted really, just don't have the funds yet.

And thanks Robo, I'll check that out. Prob will be looking to buy them the end of this month now though.

That's what guy mentioned at the garage on the phone. I will have to clarify with him when I go to pick my car up.

I imagine it includes the likes of pins etc that would be needed once those have been pried out/damaged.

Oh right, its possible the pins are stuck too, if that's the case the best place to get them from is from Mr.Pink and get the better design...
Linky

I'm fairly sure you get a set of retaining clips in the box when you buy the Brembo pads anyway so it should just be pins you need :smile:

the pads usually seize on the lower edges of the backing plate of the pad...

ALWAYS have a yearly front and rear brake strip/clean/lube

PB240005.jpg

PB240004-1.jpg

Mmmm only had the car 12 months but should have tried to do that when I first got it. Will know for next time.