MOT fail - park brake efficiency low (drivers rear caliper)

Hi all,

Failed MOT on this today , drivers side is only reading 14% (passenger is 114%), MOT tester pointed out the rear handbrake adjuster was only sitting 1/2 way on the drivers side, and suggested the adjuster may be kaput (meaning new caliper).

Bit of background - recently cleaned up the rear pads and wound the caliper piston back slightly to check it wasn't seized (it wasnt), drove it for a bit and noticed the handbrake was coming up really far, so adjusted the handbrake cable to 5 clicks (nut needed alot of adjustment) and the handbrake feels solid and holds the car fine, however low reading on the drivers side.

So before i replace the caliper any suggestions?

cheers

re-check the brakes

make sure the handbrake isnt holding the brakes on ie the caliper lever is fully back on its stop

remove pads and buff up with some emery and do the same to the disc - rebuild making sure pivot points are lubed / handbrake cable is free etc

use foot brake to reset pads running clearance (several hard presses) THEN adjust handbrake making sure its not over adjusted

then give them a bedding in and if that doesn't make it better time for new caliper

for completeness i resolved this issue by doing the following;

with the the wheel off , removed the adjustment on the handbrake cable and checked operation of the adjuster and the condition of the cable. These were both fine.

Depressed the brake hard many times and saw a slight weep of brake fluid from the caliper, the adjuster had also seized solid , which told.me it needing bleeding.

After a quick bleed and the cable reconnected the handbrake immediately felt better , I adjusted the cable slightly so that the handbrake was fully operational with 3 clicks.

The good news is had it back on the brake rollers and it passed with flying colours , so another 12 months ticket for the Clio.