Needing some serious help!!

Needing a bit of help on this one, decided to do a front brake change today, thought it would be simple enough, but knew the old pins might be a bit of a headache. started with the front drivers side and eventually managed to get the lower of the two pins out however the top one just would not move, so decided to cut the pin out. However having done that and freed both of the old pads, there is still some of the top pin in the caliper,witch is flush the caliper body!! meaning It's impossible to fit the new pads. I would drill it out, however I dont have a drill bit long enough to go through from the front of the caliper to where the pin is, and i cant seem to find a 12mm allen key to take the caliper off. Now what are my options here? I'm a little screwed as its my daily drive and could really do with it being sorted asap!!!! I genuinely thought that it would go much easier than this!

Who ever changes the brakes before has used no lube or copper slip on either the pins or pads, so i can only assume that the pin is well and truely stuck.

So if there's any advice anyone has, or even an offer of help around the notts area, I'd be thankful and I am sure I could see any one who comes to help, right :smile:

Thanks,
Adrian

I have some special punches that would go thorough to allow the pin to be tapped out . Not much good though I'm in Coventry :worried: hope you get sorted mate

oh no..had the same problem last summer..spent 3 hours on 1 caliper..a few snapped drills,hands nackered from using a massive hammer but eventually it came out..just dont give up..they will come out..
managed with my drill and plenty of wd40...

I would use the drill, however I have no drill bits that would reach, plus I dont want to run the risk of enlarging the hole, But looks like I'll have try and find some long punches (broke the one i had trying to get this one out.....) I'm hoping that the rust eating jelly that I've chucked on it might help for tomorrows attempt. if not I reckon I'm going to have to call someone out to sort it :worried:
this is just my luck!

Yeh I got the replacement pins from Mr pink. I expected the pins to be ruined taking them out. Plus makes it easier for the next time!

Ok thankfully got it all sorted, had to call some one round to deal with it, but managed to get the stuck bit of pin out and the new oem quality pads in, hopefully now with the new pins, upgrading the brakes will be a doddle!!!! next job flush through some fresh brake fluid, as the pedal doesn't seem completely firm, still travels a bit. Unless this is normal?

Ok thankfully got it all sorted, had to call some one round to deal with it, but managed to get the stuck bit of pin out and the new oem quality pads in, hopefully now with the new pins, upgrading the brakes will be a doddle!!!! next job flush through some fresh brake fluid, as the pedal doesn't seem completely firm, still travels a bit. Unless this is normal?
Glad you got it sorted :smile: :smile:

Basically he managed to have a punch long enough to get a straight hit on to the stuck bit of pin. That and a massive lump hammer knocked it out in minutes. Thankfully avoiding any damage to the caliper!

Another tip... is to remove caliper, then importantly also remove the disc, replace the caliper, pop the spring plate out which then will give you full access to try and "spin" the pins to brake the hold using some moles, bit of lube etc... then they should be easier to punch out... save a pin, shorten it and you it can use it as a punch next time around of necessary

Well hopefully won't have the problem again as I've got the pins from Mr pink. So they shouldn't sieze in. Plus I'll take them out and copper slip them every six months or so!

Basically he managed to have a punch long enough to get a straight hit on to the stuck bit of pin. That and a massive lump hammer knocked it out in minutes. Thankfully avoiding any damage to the caliper!
got mine from Cromwell Tools a while back and have paid for themselves time and time again £15 for a set of 10 (combination of punches and chisels )