New Discs Fitted----how do i get the pins out of the caliper

hi
just fitted new discs (see pic)
everything came off ok
removed calipers for clean and painting
got gooodridge hoses to fit
just one problem
HOW DO YOU GET THE PINS OUT OF THE CALIPER ?
soaking in wd 40 at the moment

any ideas

Thanks

Attachments

• disk.jpg
    disk.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 61
a quality pin punch and a "proper" hammer - give them a good whack - also worth hitting them in first then knocking out...

Expect your calipers to have a lot of chip marks on them after you've got them out.

I had more success using a big kitchen door handle we had lying around. The problem with a punch is that it has a very narrow end. If you start off using something thicker just to get that initial shove and then use the punch to push them through the rest of the way.

Something like this:
201311_Knobs_handles.jpg

if you want to stop the paint getting chipped put some electrical tape over the tops of the pins so if you do slip it will limit damage

Nice tip there cheers I was worried about chipping paint off myself, unfortunatly the last owner wasn't so I need to touch them up

Also a LOT easier to knock the pins out whilst the caliper it still bolted to the hub as you need to give them a really hard hit sometimes

I had to knock fook out of mine to get them out. 17000 mile old car I couldn't believe how seized they were.

had to get pretty brutal in the end and I did also end up with a few chips on the caliper.

i ended up hack sawing a pin out, and had 3 salvageable ones I've kept as spares and fitted 4 new OEM ones. Nearly £60 for 4. What a rip off.

I would turning them insidethe caliper with some mole grips to free them off next time

Pins out at last.

Three hours later, 1 can of wd40 , lots of sweat and bad language

lump hammer , big vice and socket extension rod eventually persuaded them to move

calipers cleaned and two coats of red paint.

refit tomorrow with goodridge hoses

I put a centre drill in the middle of a 5mm punch, that way, it can't slip off, one good belt and there out

Just done pads and discs the other day but I had the new pins with the r clip so didn't matter how the old ones came out, like someone said use a wider faced punch to get it started but with a good smack to break the seal of dirt and corrosion. Also because I wasn't using the old pins I got a grinder and ground the point of the pin flat with caliper for a wider area to hit

Iv just changed my front brakes and was dreading removing the pins so I made a punch and drilled a dent in the end to sit over the end of the tapered caliper pin, one good smack with my lump hammer and they tapped straight out no chipped paint either, I couldn't belive how light the callipers were

Iv just changed my front brakes and was dreading removing the pins so I made a punch and drilled a dent in the end to sit over the end of the tapered caliper pin, one good smack with my lump hammer and they tapped straight out no chipped paint either, I couldn't belive how light the callipers were
Same here haven't used it yet but hoping it helps :smile: