Noise's on my 200 - FIXED!!

Hi guys,

My 200 has now done a few miles so I've started to venture up the RPM's a bit... tonight was the first time I got over 6,000rpm and I noticed there is a loud vibration/metallic rattle coming from bulkhead/engine bay area on the drivers side? it sound similar to this problem:

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1648&highlight=vibration

Is this a well known problem?? I will have a look at the engine mount tomorrow, but what exactly am I looking for on it?

Also, when letting off the accelerator pedal at 6,000rpm or above there is a more worrying sound like something is rubbing for a brief second? sounds like the wheel is catching the arch...but obviously its not (but its that sort of noise) and it's coming from the same area as the vibration.

I really hope I don't regret buying a Renault! lol. Any help would be great lads,

Cheers, Edd :headphone::thumbsup:

Last edited:
I am sure we came to the conclusion ages ago that it was the acoustic valve releasing.

By all means check the top mount, but I don't think its anything to worry about, think people named it the 7k rattle or something.

Last edited:
so do all cars do this?? the car is only 4weeks old... a tad worrying. What's this acoustic valve? Thanks mate

Dealer had mine in 3 times . Said it was something loose behind the dash on the drivers side. They said they'd done something about it but the sound just moved further up the rev range each time ! Doesn't really come in till 7200 now which I have just lived with now as its reminder that I should probably change gear soon. I'm still not convinced its the dash its coming from but I had my head under the bonnet leaning on engine mounts etc and couldn't feel or hear it under the bonnet . Nor could I hear anything from the exhaust. I can only hear it inside.

BTW I did the under bonnet test with my gf holding the revs so she could hear the rattle in side whilst I investigated . Got some strange looks from people in the mway services carpark ! But at least I didn't annoy the neighbours.!

thanks for responses guys, I can't believe Renault have known about this for so long but a brand new 2010 car still has the problem??

wel if u wana check ur top engine mount theres a crimp cover on the side of it. That was loose on mine n rattle/vibrated wen driving.

Right... i've spent this afternoon looking around the car and trying to find what's up. I've recorded some videos of the noise.

The funny thing is, when the car is at standstill the vibration starts at 4,000RPM... as you can just about hear below:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcctKLoUTbQ[/YOUTUBE]

but... when on the move, it only vibrates above 6,000RPM. Also listen for the noise when I lift off the gas to change gear.. very very weird, is this normal?? sounds abit worrying

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRE4X_xmI_0[/YOUTUBE]

Any help would be great. Looks like i'll be going back to the dealers?? sigh!

Cheers guys,

Edd

Last edited:
My 200 has done nearly 1000 miles now and I don't have any rattles at all.

They don't sound good, get it back to Renault asap, and kick off big time.

Edd I really don't think its anything to worry about, my 197 makes that exact same chatter noise when I lift of the gas over 6k rpm

I am off out later so I will try and make a video on mine doing the same.

BTW I checked the engine mount and couldn't see/feel anything wrong. heres a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0373.jpg
    IMG_0373.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
i have heard thos noises described before but I haven't had wither myself, I would get it checked out just to be on the safe side but I don't think it is anything to worry about.

The noise at about 6800rpm+ in videos 2 and 3 sounds worrying to me, my 197 certainly doesn't do that.

Can't comment on the first video as i've never revved it at idle

Mine doesn't do that having done 8000miles+ in 4 months, take it back and don't move till they fix it.

im no expert but having been out in a few i have never heard that noise before, the noise on lift of sounds worrying to me although could be as simple as a loose screw behind the dash, id get it to the dealers, Even if they say theres nothing wrong its not right and i wouldnt accept it,

Pete

Thanks for all the help guys. Matt - A video of yours would be of great help, thanks mate.

R32pete, I couldn't agree more. It may only be a Clio.. but its a £16,000 clio and only 3 weeks old... shouldn't be getting this.

I'm going to speak to the dealer I got it from I think and hopefully leave it with them until it's sorted.

I get the same noise as vid 2, sort of a rattle when changing gear any where after about 6500rpm. Almost feels like its coming from the clutch. My 200 has done about 12,000 miles and a few track days now and its been there since new but just never get round to giving it to the dealer. Clutch doesn't slip so that is fine. Haven't tried revving at stand still so will give a go in the week.

edd1e let us know what the dealer thinks as I dont fancy giving it to them to thrash around in.