Please help with my steering issues!

My car is currently driving me mad to the point where I am considering selling it and making a huge loss financially.

For about 4 months the steering hasn't felt right, to define this what I mean is that the steering often feels vague and lacking in both weight and feel.

When I originally got the car it had avon zv5's on it and I quickly changed them to AD08's and got the car lowered on H&R springs.

Once fitted the car felt amazing really positive, stable and planted on the road, a few days later and it started to lack steering feel and felt vague.

The car also had the knock from the steering at this point so i instantly assumed it must be the rack and got it replaced with a refurbished unit.

The car then seemed to ok for a few days (could just be me) and then started to feel vague again and the knocking still remains.

I then got the H&R's put back to the standard cup springs and I did find there was a little more feel but still not great and over bump country roads at speed the car still is quite detached.

The current situation with the car even after the new rack and standard springs fitted is that the knocking is still there and that the steering is gauge and occasionally increases and decreases in weight.

I really don't know where to go from here or what to do, I suppose it could be the EPAS unit but its not like the power steering is really heavy all the time, infant most of the time its quite the opposite.

I am also thinking about getting the ball joints replaced in the hub but don't want to just spend money unnecessarily.

Any help or information would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Sam

Nut on the bottom of the column needs over tightening and gluing in place by the sounds of it.

It's a common issue

Hmmm not so sure already tried over tightening it, even taken the column UJ off, re-greased it and put it back on, didn't seem to make any difference. i can deal with the knock its the vague steering feel that I don't want.

When you had yours glued did it make a difference to the feel of the steering?

maybe a problem with the electric steering column ? can you pin point where the clunk is from ? i had a fiesta in work with these symptoms and it turned out to be the electric steering column. hope you get it sorted mate cause when ok its a great car.

Could be your bottom ball joint, its a swivel bearing that Renault say can't be replaced but it can.

Mine went and the steering was very vague, in corners it would feel very loose.
Mark Black at Bolsover Car Care (jct29a M1) can change both top and bottom hub bearings for £125 all in each side. My car is like a new one now and feels solid.

Renault will charge you around £360 just for the part on one side.

If you need his number just pm me.

I had vague steering knocking on bumpy roads and creaking when I was parking I found excess play in my lower ball joint into the hub, changed it the steering feels good plus no knocks or creaks

I had vague steering knocking on bumpy roads and creaking when I was parking I found excess play in my lower ball joint into the hub, changed it the steering feels good plus no knocks or creaks

Same as mine. When parked if I turned the wheel to full lock it creaked

Sorry to hear that you still haven't figured out what's wrong with the steering Sam:worried: such a pain...

Hm...IMO if the problem was there all the time and considering that your rack has been replaced I'd say that it's either the u joint or the ball joints.
However the feeling of the steering alters in between heavy and light, it constantly plays up which indicates a non mechanical failure/wear.

My money is on the column mate but the problem is that you can't just replace it just to see whether that cures it. Too bloody expensive...

Pm Marshall from here, he had the LOT replaced under warranty because he was complaining for the steering feel (or lack of). I don't know if he's happy with the car after all the work carried out.

Cheers lads for all the comments, Ive got the car booked in with Mark at bolsolver to change the upper and lower ball joints and give the car a general look over.

Thanks for your comments again Yiannis, all I can tell you is that on smoother road surfaces that are of a good quality I get more steering feel than on undulated rough surfaces (country roads) which is weird.

If it was the column you can get the repaired or buy refurbished units for around £300 but not sure where I would get one fitted and I think they have to be coded by Renault.