polybushes

Can't see any polybush kits available for 197 / 200?

Thinking rear wishbone bush in particular which seems to wear and needs renewing on mine.

I wonder would there be interest in these if I investigated with a company about making some up?

it was mentioned ages ago and someone even looked in to a group buy but there wasn't enough interest...

I can shed some light on these guys!

I work for a motor factors and had the Poly bush Rep come in a month or so back, I asked about a poly bush kit for the 197/200. Basically they are currently working on it with K-tec as we speak, although he did say that an ARB kit is first on the agenda.

I can shed some light on these guys!

I work for a motor factors and had the Poly bush Rep come in a month or so back, I asked about a poly bush kit for the 197/200. Basically they are currently working on it with K-tec as we speak, although he did say that an ARB kit is first on the agenda.

Sounds good. Any idea on timeframe? Heard ketc can take their time!

edited to add I've just mailed them to ask and will let you know what they say.

Last edited:
I don't want to ruin the fun but be aware that poly bushes can cause handling issues and even fatigue the pick up points of the suspension. This is because they introduce massive amounts of friction which is why they need to be greased at regular intervals. This is a well known problem, and is why they are hardly ever used by oems. They are fine for non-rotating applications.

Here are some links from ta quick google search on the problem: http://www.elephantracing.com/techtopic/polyurethanefriction.htm

From http://www.crystalridge.net/cars/bushings.htm#GoodPolyWhy isn't Polyurethane a good bushing material?

• "...virtually no deflection..." (cut and pasted from their web page). As mentioned above, the engineers that design these cars employ rubber bushings because deflection is required in most locations.
  • "But I lubed them well, or I used Polygraphite® bushings": You are asking the poly material to act like metal bushings, and it can't. Lubing will temporarily reduce the squeaking and stiction. The graphite-impregnated versions are just 'pre-lubed', and once the graphite has worked its way out, the bushings will squeak and require regular lubing like the others. Lubing does nothing for the binding problem.
  • "They get quieter over time": Poly will cold-flow, meaning it will deform under pressure and not return to normal, as it lacks the elasticity of the rubber bushings. Over time, they will loosen and then rattle. Check out the shape of your swaybar's poly end-link bushings after only a few months. This cold-flow issue can also lead to alignment problems on the front control arms, as the bushings deform.
  • "But everyone sells them". Well, yes, and the manufacturers of Slick 50 and the makers of 'ultra/super white' bulbs could line up a long list of satisfied customers, but what would that mean?
  • "Testimonials are everywhere!" but they don't convey the facts. Don't' believe everything you read in a glossy brochure or web page. Ever watch those late night infomercials? Like those other automotive miracles, wouldn't the large manufacturers pick up on this stuff if it really lived up to all it's claims?
  • "But lots of other people use them!" As mentioned above, trailing arm suspension requires deflection in order to work, and when poly bushings are used, the required deflection is still there -- in the bending of the arms, mounting points, and flex of the rear tires. This is why these bushings appear to work fine for street applications.

I don't think the 197/200 really needs these to be honest? The standard bushes seem fairly solid and the chassis is stiffness is perfect for the road. If you want a track focused setup then look at the cup/R3 stuff which is available off the shelf.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dan hickson Clio 197 Area 3