Potential New Owner

Good afternoon,

as having reached the 40+ club, and now downsizing house, the wife and I are looking towards a bit more of a fun car and thinking about a Clio Sport. Have seen a 2008 197 with 38k on the clock at a local garage, with a £5800 price tag, that seems quite reasonable. What are the major pitfalls to look out for ? After owning an Imprezza Turbo when they first came out I really want something that handles well with a bit of poke. I guess there must be some decent exhaust systems available as-well for this model ?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Welcome to the club did you read the buying guide but gear box recaros wear steering racks but it'. Down to luck and they come alive at 5500rpm your love it

Welcome, as mentioned check out the buyers guide. Mine is a 56 model and it's faultless. Never had gearbox issues or anything. If it has a decent service history you should be good to go. Although all cars can have hidden pasts eh. As mentioned if you are planning on a lot of twisty B road blasts, this is your car.

Or stretch and buy my Megane engined "280"!!! :tongueout:

You'll not go wrong with either model. :smile:

Welcome

Having come from a tuned Impreza, gotta say that the wifes little 197 Cup handles like a friggin dream. With 197 bhp and FWD the speedo doesnt skip round like the Scooby, however there is an addictive thrilling urgency when driving the little clio in the higher rev range. Had the car 2 weeks and I gotta say I love it. Serious fun.

FYI - Red Brembos indicates the Cup Chassis variant which is 15% harder suspension. Feel every bump around round town but forgotten about when you hit the loud pedal.

Welcome mate I've only had my 197 for about three weeks and loving it . Had some quick cars over the years but for a standard motor I'm impressed with how planted it seems ( looking forward to having a play when it's drier and warmer ) not overly impressed with the MPG but I only drive about 4 miles round trip to work but so far miles per smiles it's been well worth it :smile: I'm in the same age bracket as you too

Growing old is compulsory growing up isn't :biggrin:

Welcome to the forum.

Don't really need to say any more as it's been said.

Good luck with the search