RB 197 cup

darren9

Paid Member
After selling an R53 Mini Cooper S which I loved for a Polo GTi which I hated I've owned a 2008 RB 197 cup for around 2 months now. I've liked the Clio since I saw the Clio cup at a couple of BTCC rounds in the past and I like that the road cars look like the racers.

I initially wanted an R27 or at least cup suspension and Recaros but after viewing a few they all needed a retrim. I spotted this one at a local(ish) dealer, they gave me a fair price on my polo and we struck a deal. I was swayed by the colour. It was the only RB that was on autotrader and seemed to really stand out.

Until now I haven't bothered to get any pictures, I took it to a local meet at the weekend (gearheads at the ground, a small meet at Newark showground. Highly recommended) and managed to get a couple of shots.

DSC_0162_zpseydqrbto.jpg

DSC_0161_zpsegycvfih.jpg

It's standard barring the mtec brake dimpled and grooved discs on the front and some mats from eBay.

In the future I'd like to change the steering wheel, either for an aftermarket or a re-trimmed wheel. An exhaust/filter would be nice and a remap to get rid of the kangarooing at low speed and the flat spot.
I think the wheels sit too far in the arches (especially at the rear) so some more aggressive offset wheels would be nice, but expensive I'm considering spacers as the actual wheel design is good on these but apparently it has a bad effect on the handling? I'm also tempted by the H&R or eibach springs but again, I'm not sure how the cup dampers will react. Aesthetically I'd like to add the aero kit (cup spoiler, sideskirts, splitter) but that works out at over £800.

Primarily the car is used as a second car with the family Ford Kuga completing daily duties, however it needs to remain some practicality and be able to transport our 2 kids so stripping the rear and installing a cage and bucket seats regrettably wont be happening. However, living only 15 minutes away from Blyton and an hour(ish) from Cadwell I really want to see what its like on a track at some point.

Looks good. If you don't want spacers you could always fit wheels with a different offset such as oz ultraleggera or autec wizards. H&r springs are too harsh for every day use imo, go coilovers if you can stretch to them

That was a short lived fling ...

The wife has a new job including a long commute. We owe too much on the family car to change it so unfortunately the Clio had to go.

It's too expensive, too uncomfortable and too noisy to go up and down the motorway everyday.

So it's replacement.

A bmw 118d msport.

It's slower, a bit boring but it's comfy and frugal and IMO looks good with the msport bits.

image_zpsoryxqgof.jpg

Shame about having to get rid of the Clio, but it's replacement is quite nice! What's the interior like, got any more pics? :smile:

had to be done..you can always come back to the RS brand..hope it serves you well..

Very quick turnaround, a pity you couldn't justify keeping the Clio longer. Needs must though. Nice replacement, does look good in white.

Shame about having to get rid of the Clio, but it's replacement is quite nice! What's the interior like, got any more pics? :smile:

The interior is full black leather. Msport steering wheel/gear stick. It's a nice place to be. Ive got no more pics at the minute. I've just been to a petting farm with the kids so it's filthy.