Reinforced tyres

Hey guys quick and probably daft question. Going to buy 2x Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2s from blackcircles. Only thing is it has XL next to them which means they are reinforced.

Does this matter?

Cheers
Colin

Yes it does. The XL refers to 'eXtra Load'. Basically it gives you a greater load rating, BUT you must run them
At higher than normal pressure. For instance, a tyre with a load rating of 87 at 30psi is higher than a tyre with a load rating of 91XL. You need to run the XL tyre at 40psi (as an example) to achieve that load rating.

reading that graph to me just states going up in tyre load index (ie 87-91) increases the load capacity (maximum weight) at that stated pressure, inreasing the pressure will increase the amount of weight the tyre can take which it wont have thus reducing grip. i know this as its common with hankook v12 to reduce the pressure in the tyre for them to preform better as they have a higher load index.

reading that graph to me just states going up in tyre load index (ie 87-91) increases the load capacity (maximum weight) at that stated pressure, inreasing the pressure will increase the amount of weight the tyre can take which it wont have thus reducing grip. i know this as its common with hankook v12 to reduce the pressure in the tyre for them to preform better as they have a higher load index.

You mean graphs right? You have to compare them both. An 87 SL tyre at 2bar (30psi) pressure can handle 455kg load,an 87 XL tyre can only handle 405kg at 2bar. You must run the XL tyre at 2.9bar (42psi) to get the same load rating

i get it now mate, i was referring to the load index within the table rather between the tables. 87 XL would be 2.3 bar rather than 2.9 acoording to the table

i ve just look into the hankook v12 and the reason as to why there 91y XL, and it because the load capacity is the same at the same pressure as 87W standard load. so you right. ive had no ill effects of running a slightly lower pressure, and there waring good. you learn something new every day. lol. may try running the standard pressures and see if the grip gets better/worse

Cheers guys! Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

So if I get them I should run them at 36 psi? They are going on the front.

Cheers

Yea Ryan those ones. Good bit cheaper than the Conti's atm.. HFS the goodyears just dropped to £99 a tyre

Last edited:
because they are 91Y XL they use the same pressure as standard 87W, if they were 87W XL then you would of gone upto 36 psi

if you want to save money have a look a hankook V12s, im running them more or less same performance as conti 3s

So if a standard tyre has a load rating of 87 - 455 & im running XL 94's I have to run them at 27.5 psi?

Also, looks like its cheaper to get the goodyears in a 225 rarther than 215?

Last edited: