Rollcage?!

I've heard mixed reviews about roll cages in the clio's but I'm thinking of using my car quite a bit on a track and wondered whether they're worth it or whether they just weigh the car down a lot. Has anyone got one or know the pro's and cons about them...

Cheers!

You have to decided what you find more important. Mine is used 90% on the track so is fully stripped and fully caged with door bars. If you are doing a 50/50 mix then something like an oulton cage may be better

I'm not sure if the 'oulton' is the official name, but it tends to be what they're known as. They are a half roll cage that bolts in to the rear seat mounts (IRRC?). They were originally ~£160 for I think they go for £200+ these days as there's a high demand for them and genuine ones are pretty rare.

As for the name, I think it comes from the fact the cages were originally developed for some track cars used at Oulton park.

Stick Oulton in to the search box, I'm sure you'll get some good results. There was one for sale recently on the facebook page, but I doubt it's still for sale.

In response to roll cages worth if or not.... If ya want a safe way of mounting harnesses then cage has to be way forward with harness bar. My 172 is track focused and I have a half cage at moment and will be going full cage through the winter.

Safety first kids :wink:

Cheers for the info on the half cage ? I personally think half cages ain't worth doodly jack squat , as they don't protect the front pillar so the roof can still come down a fair old amount , they don't really help with chassis rigidity , full cage or nothing for me , but each to there own

This is mine. It's the one for the cup racer and is available from Mark Fish Motorsport. It will set you back around £1000 plus fitting

8yvamypu.jpg

Reactions: GU55SSY
Cheers for the info on the half cage ? I personally think half cages ain't worth doodly jack squat , as they don't protect the front pillar so the roof can still come down a fair old amount , they don't really help with chassis rigidity , full cage or nothing for me , but each to there own

Some cage is better than no cage. So 'full cage or nothing' really makes no sense to me. It still stops the centre part of your roof caving in during a roll (or heavy impact on a flip), yeah sure it doesn't stop the front caving, but that would require a full cage, and chopping up your dash to allow the A pillars. If you're going to that extreme you may as well have door bars, A-Pillar gussets etc. Where does it stop?

your going to need a helmet at all times with a proper cage fitted.

if you crash and bash your head on the cage without a helmet your in trouble

I have a modded oulton cage I see it as a beefed up harness bar and roll hoop. it's never going to
go racing but it makes me feel safer using the harnesses when I have something to stop the roof above my head
being on my head!

Have rear ktr cage in mine with harness bar. Wanted some decent seats and harnesses and felt this was a good solution, especially to mount the harnesses.

Just couldn't drive the car on track and stay in position with standard seats and belts so regardless of the debates on full vs half etc. I feel more in control than when leaning half out of the window previously!

Have rear ktr cage in mine with harness bar. Wanted some decent seats and harnesses and felt this was a good solution, especially to mount the harnesses.

Just couldn't drive the car on track and stay in position with standard seats and belts so regardless of the debates on full vs half etc. I feel more in control than when leaning half out of the window previously!

Totally agree this was the inspiration to put the cage in I still have marks on the centre console from passengers knees

Well horses for courses I still stand by that half cages are crap , used as a harness bar yep ain't got a prob with that but as a safety device ? No not for me , my head is worth more than any car , and as has been said safety is paramount above all else ,maybe I'm
just an old git lol ,but I do push my car very hard , the main prob I have with half cages ? Is the cheap crap ones that are out there that young lads but thinking there good for safety , there not there death traps , as was said earlier yes any cage will help , yes it will , but too many company's jumped on the band wagon with they call them show cages to get out of any liability on accidents , a good quality one yes will help but still not for me

Last edited:
Well horses for courses I still stand by that half cages are crap , used as a harness bar yep ain't got a prob with that but as a safety device ? No not for me , my head is worth more than any car , and as has been said safety is paramount above all else ,maybe I'm
just an old git lol ,but I do push my car very hard , the main prob I have with half cages ? Is the cheap crap ones that are out there that young lads but thinking there good for safety , there not there death traps , as was said earlier yes any cage will help , yes it will , but too many company's jumped on the band wagon with they call them show cages to get out of any liability on accidents , a good quality one yes will help but still not for me

Understand what you're saying BUT you're comparing full to half and not to none whatsoever.

Personally I feel safer on track days (not racing and not pushing beyond my considerable limits) with the half cage that's allowed me to feel happy about harnesses and some decent buckets versus half the time feeling any control I might have being compromised by road seats and belts.

Perhaps it's the illusion of 'better' safety? I don't know.

Similar Thread Suggestions