Rough start to life with the Clio

jimfacebinface

Paid Member
Here's the thing...

Bought our first RS Clio just over a week ago. Couple of niggles noticed and I managed to get the price down. However in the week since living with it, problem after problem keeps cropping up. So here's the lowdown:

Needs new rear discs, pads and calliper service,
New front pads
New exhaust from manifold back

Its obvious the car hasn't been looked after. I've been to K-Tec and they quoted me worst case scenario of a grand - reasonable. The garage I bought it from (without seeing the car) quoted 300. Why so different?

My question is, if we don't agree by the weekend on a cost of repair, should I give the car back and cancel my payments?

Honestly it doesn't sound like the car has been looked after. If it hasn't it will give you nothing but problems in your ownership and chances are you'll hate it.

whats the history like? How old is it? 197/200?
saying that the brakes really need a good service every year to keep them
in shape.
personally the garage quote is far far under what if expect for disks/pads, serviced callipers and new exhaust from mani.
I couldn't even get an exhaust change for my old fiesta for 300!

Last edited:
Brakes like said should be serviced every year.Exhaust is the first Ive heard of in need of replacement.How a garage can send it out in that condition is beyond me.If you don't mind me asking what plate is it on and how much you pay for it ???

Personally I'd take it back. But £300 for all that work is very cheap, they cant be using OEM stuff which would be an issue for me, especially on the brakes.

Renault quoted me just under a grand for a new cat back exhaust system, which is why I'm getting a stainless system from BTM :smile:

How they can quote without seeing the car is unreal :worried:once they get there hands on it the price will go up to way over the grand mark

Surely you would have noticed the worn brakes and exhaust when looking at it/test driving it?
I do agree with this but the exhaust could be hard to tell, but I don't think it's going to be easy to get much out of them bearing in mind Ktec would be quoting based on non OEM parts. I'd be taking it back though and arguing till the cows come home, I had a check list of things that I wanted doing to mine and one wasn't done so they did it there and then.

Last edited:
the op(purchaser) may not have known what to look for and could have foolishly to believe the garage would sell a roadworthy motor vehicle...

the op(purchaser) may not have known what to look for and could have foolishly to believe the garage would sell a roadworthy motor vehicle...

Happens all the time unfortunately. Mind you, look at the hassle ive had, and mine was brand new!

Thanks for the responses guys!

It's an 08 197 Cup. 42k on the clock. Next service due (according to the dash computer) is 11K. Book says it was last serviced at 31K... Hmm.
I got it for £6,900. I agreed to one of this price as it has Speedlines, genuine RS cup spoiler and Recaros.

I live in Bournemouth and I drove to Wales for it so I'm waiting as a last resort to take it back to them. On the forecourt I could not properly tell the condition of the brakes as it is the rear of the discs that show bad signs of uneven wear. I also didn't notice the squealing until I drove it with the windows down a few days later. As for the exhaust, similar story. I had it sat on the drive with the engine running and revving.
I've been in touch this afternoon with the said dealership and the jury's out with them. I'm going to give them until the morning to come up with an agreed arrangement for repair. As for KTec, yeah it was a quote including their own exhaust but that's a lot cheaper than a Renault replacement!

Thanks again for the responses