Rusty nuts! ... 200t

Hi folks...

Six month old 200t and some what disappointed to notice that pretty much all the wheels nuts are starting to rust. First car that I've had with alloy wheels that I've noticed it happening quite this soon.

Anyone else noticed this?

PS. I don't and never have, used any sort of abrasive wheels cleaner. Just soap and water (plus a couple of coats of wax on the wheels).

Any curbing on the wheels?

I dont have any marks on my wheels at all.

No damage to wheels at all. The alloys themselves are fine. It's just the wheels nuts themselves that are starting to rust. Even the one per wheel that was removed by Renault when fitting the locking wheels nuts, have rust on the ends of them (and they have been in the glove compartment in the car in a plastic bag!). They just look like poor quality wheel nuts to me. Pretty poor on a £20k car!!!

No damage to wheels at all. The alloys themselves are fine. It's just the wheels nuts themselves that are starting to rust. Even the one per wheel that was removed by Renault when fitting the locking wheels nuts, have rust on the ends of them (and they have been in the glove compartment in the car in a plastic bag!). They just look like poor quality wheel nuts to me. Pretty poor on a £20k car!!!

Strange that. I work for a renault / nissan dual dealer here in NI. I have yet to see really any mk4 Clios with this issue, but I have seen a few of the new XTrails, Jukes etc with similar rust you describe and also rusting calipers! As you say it's poor on brand new cars, I would be contacting the dealer and try getting them replaced under warranty.

O'well... looks like a trip to my local dealer (Arnold Clark) in the New Year. And see what they say.

Just taken one out and had a closer look and they appear really cheap and nasty zinc plated by the look of it. Not impressed on a car like this. Definitely speak to the dealer come the New Year.

What have you been washing the wheels with?

Warm water and top quality car wash liquid. Always wash my cars by hand (and NEVER let a garage valet a car of mine). Never use any sort of wheel cleaner (EG. Wonder Wheels) after they destroyed the lacquer on the rather expensive gold Speedline wheels on my first Scooby the best part of 20 years ago. Then every couple of months I put on a couple of coats of a rather expensive polish that is especially designed for alloy wheels (one of the Chemical Guys products). Anal I am when it comes to car detailing.

Bilberry is good stuff for washing wheels.

Maybe if you get a replacement set, spray them before you put them back in.

Dropped in this morning to see my local Renault dealer (Arnold Clark garage) and surprise, surprise... not interested in the slightest. They had a quick look and said "not a warranty claim". They then proceeded to give me an 0800 number for Renault Customer Services which when I tried the number, proved to be fictitious (one way to prevent complaints I suppose). So tried to phone 03443350000, waited 20+ minutes in a queue and gave up. The mechanic asked the obvious question "what do you use to clean them". Fair enough I suppose. But I have not used any abrasive wheel cleaner (EG. Wonder Wheels etc.) for 20+ years, as I've had them damage the lacquer on the alloys before. Just warm water and a quality car wash liquid.

So looks like...

1) Just ignore it ... no way, as it looks awful.
2) Paint them ... probably a waste of time and I can't see it lasting anyway.
3) Get some covers for the nuts ... a possibility. But not too sure what they would look like. Wonder what size I would need?
4) Replace all bolts myself ... again a possibility. Anyone got any idea what size/spec these bolts are? and any good WEB sites out there??

Not impressed on a 6 month old car. Never happened this quick before on any other car that I have bought over 35 years that had alloy wheels :blush:mg:

The bolts on the 197/200's are just as bad so no surprise really. Do tpi do bolts for your mk4 yet?
[MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] might know.

The bolts on the 197/200's are just as bad so no surprise really. Do tpi do bolts for your mk4 yet?
[MENTION=1272]Fernandez[/MENTION] might know.

The Mk4 Clio wheel bolts are the same as the Meg 265: 12x1.50 28MM TAPERED 17 HEX

You can get TPI black bolts for them:
tpi-wheel-bolts-12x1.50-28mm-tapered-17-hex-108301-p.jpg

http://www.cazanracing.co.uk/tpi-wheel-bolts---12x150-28mm-tapered-17-hex-108301-p.asp

Or the polarised tuner bolts:
tpi-polarised-race-bolts-12x1.50-27mm-tapered-17-hex-108308-p.jpg

http://www.cazanracing.co.uk/tpi-polarised-race-bolts---12x150-27mm-tapered-17-hex-108308-p.asp

Fernandez

Thanks for that. MUCH appreciated.

The polarised bolts look great. I wonder how they do the finish on them ? and how hard wearing it is? Must be better than the stock rubbish that Renault fit (6 months and well rusting).

I've removed one of the current bolts and measured the thread length and it appears to be 26mm, I'm assuming the extra 1mm (or 2mm if I went for the black) wont make any difference???

Tempted to just get the set of 20 and forget about the locking wheel nut, would look better me thinks. Car is always garaged, live in the middle of nowhere and this area anyway has one of the lowest crime rates in the UK (short of the Shetland Isles).

Thanks again.

I did finally manage to get through to Renault CS and spoke to a very nice Woman with a French accent. She was very decent and said she was going to talk to my local dealer about it ... but not sure anything will come of it. And to a certain extent, I can't see the point in replacing one set of rather cheap looking Zinc plated bolts, with another of the same.

So I've just ordered a full set of the TPI Polarised bolts. Think they should look pretty good and hopefully not rust like the previous originals.

Thanks again Fernandez. Lets just hope that you don't use City Link to deliver!

never had any issues with the bolts on the 197....strange as it seems a common complaint!

I did finally manage to get through to Renault CS and spoke to a very nice Woman with a French accent. She was very decent and said she was going to talk to my local dealer about it ... but not sure anything will come of it. And to a certain extent, I can't see the point in replacing one set of rather cheap looking Zinc plated bolts, with another of the same.

So I've just ordered a full set of the TPI Polarised bolts. Think they should look pretty good and hopefully not rust like the previous originals.

Thanks again Fernandez. Lets just hope that you don't use City Link to deliver!

Lol. Fortunately I don't use City Link, real shame for all those losing their jobs at this time of year though. I'll get your order sor ted as soon I back in the office