Shocks 70% out of balance.

Urgent advice required,

Local renault dealer have informed me that my shocks are done and the car would fail mot, 31-12-09 clio ff cup 29200 miles. Serviced by renault. Been told I must pay as it's wear and tear and renault uk have offered only 70% due to their expectation that the part would last 100,000 and I've drove 30. Regardless of the fact that the dealer never mentioned this to me in may when I bought and serviced vehicle, private sale though.

Any thoughts or advice?

Cheers

depends on your renault history.

if you have spent big bucks with them hold out, if not take it.

It's only ~£200 for a full set of dampers, so see if they'll push to a full set and just pay £60. :thumbsup:

Use the ''she's a performance car and all suspension parts need to be in sync' so you should change them all for me'' line. :wink:

Use the 'not fit for purpose' and get them to pay in full.

I had one of mine replaced when it started to leak.

Theres just no consistancy with renaults customer services, i had mine replaced without an argument, you have not.

I have been offered 80% of seat costs when others have had 100%.

Wise up renault, get your act together.:swear:

Depends on use etc, if your seats or what ever go after 10 years it's a lot different to 4 or 5.

Same as shocks IF you had tracked it and ridden curbs or use a poorly surfaced road at high speed regularly.

There was something in another thread i read earlier today.

They sell these cars as a sporty car, let you chose an uprated suspension set up, fit a close ratio box on an high reving engine, aim it at the sportier driver to use on track days, hell they even organise their own trackdays.

The parts should be up to this.

How do they know how you've used the car?

Use the 'not fit for purpose' and get them to pay in full.

I had one of mine replaced when it started to leak.

Theres just no consistancy with renaults customer services, i had mine replaced without an argument, you have not.

I have been offered 80% of seat costs when others have had 100%.

Wise up renault, get your act together.:swear:

I had to argue with a local dealer in order to get a handbrake cable, new driver recaro seat base, driver side rear window seal, and a new hinge on the glovebox. Orignally they where all wear and tear issues and i argued with them on this and got all done this week through them, though they offered me nothing on the shocks. i'm gutted as i love the car but fail to see why i should pay for an inadequate part. All of which i have said to renault, and i honestly would look past it if there was massive mileage on the car.

Renault Suck :thumb1:

There was something in another thread i read earlier today.

They sell these cars as a sporty car, let you chose an uprated suspension set up, fit a close ratio box on an high reving engine, aim it at the sportier driver to use on track days, hell they even organise their own trackdays.

The parts should be up to this.

How do they know how you've used the car?

any half decent tech will be able to tell if it has been tracked/driven.

Tryes, breaks, crap on the car, all tell tail signs.

Your right but I you are running the apex regularly at high speeds then that's your fault and putting past manufacturer tolerances.

Same as if you were hitting pot holes and then the wheel failed. You can't get a replacement via Renault due to it being a life item.

They've spent the last year giving away trackdays with new cars... :wink:

Use the collective information of us lot to your advantage!!! :smiley:

They've spent the last year giving away trackdays with new cars... :wink:

Use the collective information of us lot to your advantage!!! :smiley:

Really!!!!! :chair:

And at every free one i've been on this year they have told you not to ride cubs etc for this exact reason. Stating whilst the car is fit for the track it isn't for riding curbs/apex's.

Well it's not fit for the track then is it...

So they need to make their minds up as to who and what the cars are aimed at. Saying you can't use the kerbs on a track is like saying you can drive on the road but don't run over any painted lines as the tyres won't grip as efficiently on them and if you crash and die as a result then your insurance is void.

Let's make a sports car, track orientated, test it at The 'Ring, let the press jump them at MIRA, rave about suspension and ride technology but then p!ss and moan when somebody other than Tiff or Plato use the car for what it's built for... Great idea!!!

It's a load of sh!t. The fact of the matter is the the dampers should not be shot at that mileage unless he's been doing the Dakar in the poor thing. I've never had a shock fail on a car, either standard or aftermarket, and I've tracked all but two of the six cars I've had. If it was my car then I'd be happy with the offer they've made of 70% and I'd push to have all the dampers changed or at least the axle pair.

Mass-manufacturing isn't fool proof and some components will inevitably fail as they're produced to be cost effective rather than bullet proof. That's why Ohlins cost a kidney and half a lung, low production runs to very tight tolerances.

Last edited:
I really think your putting something out of context.

30,000 RS clios and one out of warranty has a shock go and suddenly its the worst car in the world.

You are told the car is fit for the track at the track days. At the same time you are told if you run the apex then you will do damage. If you drove on the limiter or didn't use the clutched and use revs to match and shift would you expect that to be ok and covered too?

What about my brakes after I cooked them having too much fun? Is that renaultsport fault for not giving me the track day pads they recommend?

At which point in the above did I slate the car?...

Nothing is out of context, a shock should not fail at ~30k. It's rare to hear of a problem like that on here, so chances are it's a rogue shocker which can happen as it's a wear item and it's mass produced. I really don't understand what you're getting at??? Again, if it was my car then I'd be unhappy that after a relatively low amount of mileage something has failed like that. Regardless of what it's been used as or how it'd been used... If Renault were convinced that the car or part had been mistreated then I doubt they would've made the offer of 70% would they!?!

Firstly, who would ever drive a car constantly on the limiter and who would drive one without using the clutch? That's basic common sense, not entirely sure, again, what your point is. That's blatant misuse of the car and it's components, running the odd kerb in a track orientated car is to be expected surely!?! Secondly, they've released promo videos themselves in their cars being ragged over kerbs. Are you then suggesting that the test drivers should be fired for inciting people to misuse their cars!?! Sounds daft doesn't it. Just like driving around on the limiter does...

Brakes are subjective. I can honestly say I've never cooked mine on the Clio on the road or on track... Some people have, lots of people haven't. That's down to driving style more than anything else, it certainly can't be put to a manufacturing defect or the brakes not being fit for purpose. The thing is, that you've even mentioned yourself there, if Renaultsport suggest a certain pad for track use, they certainly don't suggest an alternative damper do they...

So if you live on a road with speed bumps, should you park the car at the end of the road instead of outside your house? If speed bumps, generally a lot bigger than kerbs, are fit to be driven over then why aren't kerbs?

Last edited:
correct a shock should not fail at 30k but it has, its a consumable item and the car is out of warranty. Renault have kindly out of good will offered 70% contribution. the car and none consumable parts are 3 years/100,000 miles. Shocks are consumable parts.

and all the pints were daft thats the point, much like riding curbs/apex's which you are told not to do on trackdays as the cars are not up to it.

Had the shock failed/snapped then i would argue the point but a worn shock......

Firstly mental pen just to correct any confusion the car is still under warranty...

To update, ren uk called again and basically said take it or leave it, so obviously I have seafood go ahead, still not pleased but hey here's hoping thats all the hassle I get. :smile:

Cheers for all the advice, apparently renault don't care.lol.

I had a similar dispute with Renault, read their warranty terms & conditions (Found on their website). The T&Cs say that reasonable wear and tear is excluded from the warranty, it's a loose term but you need to argue that this is not reasonable wear and tear and should therefore be covered on the warranty