Side lights + Fog lights only WHY?

An ever increasing amount of people I see driving are using their side lights and fog lights instead of headlights. It's beginning to get on my t*ts :angry:

The thing is they aren't all young lads (I am one myself at 23) and they stoat about driving like this! I don't get it, is it the new cool thing to do or are they diddys and haven't noticed only the sidelights are on. I usually flash them or put my spotlights on and off quickly.

Tis annoying me and I don't know why ha, anyone else?

Your not alone mate this really pisses me off.

I once drove with my foglights on (front and rear) and forgot to switch them off when the fog cleared and swiftly got pulled over and told to turn them off!! This was a genuine mistake and in all fairness the police were understanding as both front and rear were being used.

Also just driving with sidelights or "position lights" as I'm sure the official term is, seems way too common and in my experience I'd say more older people are doing this than us youngsters (also 23)

Id say the only lights that should be allowed are all or nothing none of this half way only sidelights/sidelights and fogs, minimum of dipped beam and rear fogs should light when fronts are used (can't see why you'd only need front OR rear)

Using fog lights when it's not foggy (ie you can see for more than 100m) is illegal. Its covered in Rule 226 of the highway code.

Glad I'm not alone in my thoughts! I thought you could get pulled for having fog lights when they are not needed, just gotta hope the rozzers drive past em :tongueout:

ive seen it being done for ages

winds me up along with then ghey bright blue sidelights

not to mention when they put their fog lights on when it isnt even foggy

maybe im just not down with the kids

probably headlights bulbs blown so saving money by using those "extra" smaller headlights in the front bumper :swear:

YES this annoys me!

I suppose its the young ones thinking its cool and the old ones who think fog lights are for when its raining or a bit dark.

But to be honest, nearly everyone on the road annoys me.

been told i have really really bad road rage... :smiley:

Last edited:
i cant see why having the front ones on annoys people to be honest, they're dipped so they dont blind anyone, it just two more lights on on the front of a car

its like getting angry at someone for wearing a waterproof coat when its not raining :jedi:

Last edited:
i cant see why having the front ones on annoys people to be honest, they're dipped so they dont blind anyone, it just two more lights on on the front of a car

its like getting angry at someone for wearing a waterproof coat when its not raining :jedi:

That's true but wearing a waterproof coat when it's not raining isn't illegal lol.

And a lot of cars I see their fogs are a lot brighter than their dipped beam.

I think its because they want to make it like a day time running light to fit in with new cars and they also think it looks good...

ive be see quite a few very old Audi, BMW and merc, all complete heaps (like 20 years old) and they have change the dog light to an LED / white light and then drive around with them on. Probably hope it makes their car look like new / current models but forget the rest of the car is a dump....

people le that stick the halfords DRLs on also does my head in...is a old Audi near me in the area, he's put stick DRLs all over the front and along the bumper....why?

If im going for a blast out on the twisties i tend to bang the front fog's on the more people who see you coming the better:thumbsup:most of the time its foggy rain mist and sometimes sunny so i just leave them on but just normal driving i do not see the point in it.:001_unsure:

I think its because they want to make it like a day time running light to fit in with new cars and they also think it looks good...

ive be see quite a few very old Audi, BMW and merc, all complete heaps (like 20 years old) and they have change the dog light to an LED / white light and then drive around with them on. Probably hope it makes their car look like new / current models but forget the rest of the car is a dump....

people le that stick the halfords DRLs on also does my head in...is a old Audi near me in the area, he's put stick DRLs all over the front and along the bumper....why?

thats one thing i do hate, retro-fitted DRLs. Its worst when people with old audis try to mimic the new ones by sticking them around the headlights

YES this annoys me!

I suppose its the young ones thinking its cool and the old ones who think fog lights are for when its raining or a bit dark.

But to be honest, nearly everyone on the road annoys me.

been told i have really really bad road rage... :smiley:

Road rage?? That be interesting haha

Don't think I ever use my fog light!

I went full cup spec and fitted blanks :lol:

Saves me forgetting and getting pulled over.

You can drive with just side lights on though in the dark, if it's in a built up area with streetlights on.

Pisses me off massively. Luckily the full beam in the Clio is brilliant, so I can illuminate the road for them........

I actually do not like DRLs full stop. I am taking my 200T back to Renault to see if they can be turned off. Hate my car looking like a flipping Christmas tree.

Should have been left of the R8. Simple as that.