Sound Investment

Hey Guys,
I rarely post but thought my recent speaker/head unit install was worth a few words.

Yesterday I fitted a new head unit, front speakers, rear speakers (with tweeters), front tweeters and better speaker cable to my 200 Cup. The quality in sound is very impressive and as a comparison to standard it is staggering.

The funny thing is there were no front tweeters in the pods, just some plastic?! I wanted to keep the car totally OEM looking but with better internals. The only non OEM aspect visually is the headunit but the standard one is terrible and the new one fits very nicely and is fairly understated.

The components used were as follows:
Head Unit; Kenwood KDC-BT73DAB, it has everything, got great reviews and is powerful enough to drive the speakers without the need for an amp.
Front Speakers and Tweeters; Pioneer TS-Q131C, this is the plug and play upgrade and is well proven as a good set.
Rear Speakers; JL Audio TR525, got these very cheap, great reviews, good upgrade from standard, had central tweeters. Needed some modification to get them to fit.

Cable cant remember but it is good stuff a friend got for me, all this together makes a good cost effective upgrade. IMHO there is no point going crazy with £2000 installs in a clio. It will never sound amazing because of what you have to work with with regards to build quality and space. I wouldn't want to add weight either because this is a great drivers car. The reason for the install was because I am a music nut and when the car is not going full tilt it is nice to listen to good sound quality.

Thinking of fitting an underseat Sub with its own integrated amp. I like this idea because it is out of the way and can keep the OEM look going. It is lacking a bit of bottom end punch and the mids and highs are so good it is sounding a little 'bright'. But going to give it a couple of weeks to see how things bed in. The other good thing is everything is reversible back to stock if needs be.

Cheers all, Sam

bought my new head unit today from car audio direct http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/cd-players/sony-mex-n5000bt. didnt want to go mental but i do want better sound so that head unit should do the job. need to get some speakers too and those pioneer ones you bought look ideal. are the tweeters on the dash board hard to fit? and do they go into the factory mounts easy enough? they have them on car audio direct for £70, did you get them any cheaper?

Hi guys. Those with aftermarket head unit. Can you comment if the FM radio are better? In my country my FM is seriously sucky with the original head unit. I am wondering if changing an aftermarket head unit would improve the FM reception? Any comments?

My plans is to change to either Pioneer DEH80PRS or DEXP99RS. Anyone on these head unit?

bought my new head unit today from car audio direct http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/head-units/cd-players/sony-mex-n5000bt. didnt want to go mental but i do want better sound so that head unit should do the job. need to get some speakers too and those pioneer ones you bought look ideal. are the tweeters on the dash board hard to fit? and do they go into the factory mounts easy enough? they have them on car audio direct for £70, did you get them any cheaper?

The pioneer plug and play stuff is great for the ease of fitting and quality. After market head unit and those speakers front and rear will be a good improvement. Note: The tweeter covers are very delicate, I managed to get mine off without damaging them but a lot of people have cracked them. The trick is to buy a plastic interior trim removal kit from eBay for £10 (much less than the covers cost, £30 each!). They fit well but it depends if you have any cables running to them. Mine didnt, just a dummy Tweeter!? If you are not confident, get someone out to install it, 1 hours work, well worth it because they are such an important part of the overall sound.

Hi guys. Those with aftermarket head unit. Can you comment if the FM radio are better? In my country my FM is seriously sucky with the original head unit. I am wondering if changing an aftermarket head unit would improve the FM reception? Any comments?

My plans is to change to either Pioneer DEH80PRS or DEXP99RS. Anyone on these head unit?

I am pretty sure the signal can only be as good as its weakest link, in this case the ariel. With my head unit it has DAB and is superb, get a budget one of those and welcome to the 21st century! :lol:

I am pretty sure the signal can only be as good as its weakest link, in this case the ariel. With my head unit it has DAB and is superb, get a budget one of those and welcome to the 21st century! :lol:

My first world country do not have DAB....it was scrapped after a trial run as it wasn't popular 10 years back. Sad to say we are still depending on aerial and in the 21st century my country can intercept flying missle but not having a clear radio reception.

Head unit arrived today. Did you have to remove the cage for the standard head unit? Or did you use it with the new head unit. The head unit I've bough came with its own cage. I've also got the fascia adapter which I presume goes in behind the cage to hold it in place???? Something so simple shouldn't be this confusing haha. On the plus side I've plugged it all in and the steering wheel controls etc are working fine and the wee display now says Renault and the time.

that's posting thread was going to be questions was going to ask, much of sound quality is improved from standard? Does anyone have pioneer flip 7inch head unit installed in there 200?.

If your looking for more bass then get this sub, Pioneer TS-WX710A 200W

Its flat, can be easily detached and can still pile anything onto it. Also it sounds amazing, I've got this in my type R and im seriously impressed how much bass this thing has. Bargain price as well, dead easy to install. I'd fully recommend!!

[MENTION=52253]rsevo[/MENTION] I've got the Pioneer installed in my 200! Sound quality wise it's a big Improvement on the standard HU but I think I need to upgrade all the speakers to really get the most out of it...6777B8F8-E34F-4E3E-B399-967D43CCFD16_zpsyomqqalz.jpg

If your looking for more bass then get this sub, Pioneer TS-WX710A 200W

Its flat, can be easily detached and can still pile anything onto it. Also it sounds amazing, I've got this in my type R and im seriously impressed how much bass this thing has. Bargain price as well, dead easy to install. I'd fully recommend!!

Mike approximately how heavy that thing is?

[MENTION=52131]enzo599[/MENTION] how did you wire the tweeters? Did you go to the headunit wiring or where there crossovers in the dash?

I have all my speakers (Fli and vibe) running off of my 4 channel amp and am currently installing a 2 channel amp with power capacitor to run a sub which I'm building into a false floor it will take up as little space as possible and leave the boot looking clean but a little bit higher up.oh and I have a parrot asteroid classic headunit. If you need any advice let me know on here or instagram me @aaronscorer I like audio

Last edited: