Split flexi pipe in exhaust

About 3 weeks ago I got the clutch and gearbox replaced on the 200. As soon as I drove it away (and more noticeably when cold) there was a kind of vibration sound coming from behind the centre console. I went back to renault for them to have a look and they reckolned it was the exhaust shield rubbing. The vibrations kept getting worse and gradually turned into more of a blowing noise. The blowing is now pretty bad...
So, I took the car into renault today and they confirmed one of the two flexi pipes just behind the manifold had split. A mechanic I know reckolns this was caused by the engines weight being carried by the exhaust, but the garage are refusing to accept this. It does seem a little strange to me that this noise developed just after the work was carried out!
Unfortunately the part is £600 (the flexi pipe is part of a much bigger part including the manifoled and a cat i think)
So, a few questions if ya don't mind!

Will this be likely to be covered under my arnold clark warranty?

If not, what would be the cheapest way to get this fixed? Is it possible to weld in a new flexi pipe?

If this isn't possible would it be worth pressuring Renault, arguing that it seems likely the fault happened while the car was in their hands?

cheers for the help simon. No-one in those threads actually mentions the correct size flexi pipe to get. Anyone know?
It's getting really bad now, making some very strange noises, need to get this sorted ASAP...

I've got the flexis now and shown the car to the mechanic to see what he reckolns. He says that welding in new flexis is gonna be a bit of a bitch. Says its gonna require the subframe to be dropped out?? Is this the best way to get at the flexis? How long should I expect this job to take, don't want to be told it's a full day job if there's a simpler way of doing it!
Sorry for all the questions, you guys are literally frikking life savers (I'll renew my membership when i get round it! :tongueout:)

I've got the flexis now and shown the car to the mechanic to see what he reckolns. He says that welding in new flexis is gonna be a bit of a bitch. Says its gonna require the subframe to be dropped out?? Is this the best way to get at the flexis? How long should I expect this job to take, don't want to be told it's a full day job if there's a simpler way of doing it!
Sorry for all the questions, you guys are literally frikking life savers (I'll renew my membership when i get round it! :tongueout:)

to do it right the subframe comes off and the manifold has to be removed - be a full days job at least if goes to plan!

Just had mine done by a local garage and the charged 8 hours which seemed pretty fair to me, buy the gasket and clamp from renault as they were cheapest, cost me around £300 all in

to do it right the subframe comes off and the manifold has to be removed - be a full days job at least if goes to plan!

cheers si

Just had mine done by a local garage and the charged 8 hours which seemed pretty fair to me, buy the gasket and clamp from renault as they were cheapest, cost me around £300 all in

OK cheers, but what do you mean about a gasket and clamp? As far as I was aware all I needed was to get new flexis and weld them in?

Edit: One more quick question - Am I doing damage to the car by driving it? It's got pretty bad now and I have been warned about a lack of back pressure?

Last edited:
wouldn't worry about "back pressure" its more of an issue with fuelling being wrong due to the exhaust gas escaping before the cat and lambda sensors...

My mech and welder are gonna try and fit the new flexi's tomorrow. They wanted to know the best way of doing it. Are they right that the steering rack will need to be moved out the way? What are the particularly awkward parts of the job? They seem to think getting the cat through the gap to get the whole manifold out is gonna be difficult? Also said it's gonna be at least a days work, does this sound about right?

Cheers for any help.

need to drop the complete front subframe - this has the steering rack bolted to it

have a look at cooper666 thread about when he fitted his new manifold - a few tips in there