Spray painting

Jesse James

Platinum Member
Right I want to have a go at spraying some bits and wondered if there is a best way to do it as I have absolutely no experience. So as far as prep sanding what paper to achieving finishes matt gloss I would love to know [emoji1]

Hi mate. I did a thread on how to refurb alloys including spraying them. http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?47021-DIY-Alloy-Refurb
I suppose you could apply some of these aspects to whatever you're painting.
However from what I've sprayed in the past, it's all about the prep. I was completely new to spray painting when I did my alloys. I would recommend preparing the surface with sand paper working your way up through different course paper. Then 2-3 coats of primer. Allow 30 mins in between each coat. Allow 24 to completely dry then 3 coats of your desired colour with 30 mins in between coats. Then another 24 hours to dry and then 2 coats of lacquer with 3 hours in between each coat. One thing I would say is don't be tempted to lay on thick coats, gradually build up the coats and this will result in an even finish.
Hope this helps mate, I'm sure someone will have more experience than me and will be able to offer extra advice.

Cheers mate I have seen your post and if I am honest it has inspired me. I am spraying the centre console and was unsure as it was plastic if it should be sanded

Use a fine paper on plastic and a plastic primer too. Satin is the easiest finish to get perfect in my opinion. Take your time and as stated several thin coats are much better than one thick coat. Don't aim for full coverage in one coat, some primer should still be visible after one coat in my opinion.

If you do any textured plastics they sometimes dont need any sandpapering, for example the front grills on the 197, its textured so paint keys to it quite easily. More thin coats>less thick coats

Cheers mate I have seen your post and if I am honest it has inspired me. I am spraying the centre console and was unsure as it was plastic if it should be sanded
Cheers mate. If you do decide to sand plastic, as said above, use very fine paper. YouTube is a massive help when spraying, gives you good tips and use them to find your own way.

I have had some issue with cracking on the edges but where I have sanded these down again appear to have taken the rubberised plastic off in places. Is there any fix for this?