Start Relay?

Discussion in 'Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust and Air Intake' started by Phenom, Aug 16, 2019 at 9:03 AM.

1. Phenom

Phenom Paid Member

Car:
    Glacier White FF 200 Cup
    So from my last post car still isn't moving....

checked all the earths and is earthing fine, new battery and new starter still nothing.
    which leads to my question of where is the start relay? as in the boxes around the battery there was a single 50A relay which I tested and is working fine. is that relay the starter relay? or is it somewhere else as I've got the problem down to 2 things:
    1. exciter wire for the starter motor doesn't ever get a signal when trying to start the car
    2. the actual power supply wire for the starter is only showing <1v volt but battery is not the problem here.

So is it the starter relay? and where is it?
    if not what the hell is it?

Thanks in Advance

Pic of relay I tested
    VUsxEOH.png

2. tcw

tcw Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Checked the fuse box in engine bay, theres a 20a or 25a fuse which it might be.

Phenom likes this.
  3. Phenom

Phenom Paid Member

Car:
    Glacier White FF 200 Cup
    Checked all the fuses in both banks around the battery as none are labelled and all are fine

4. Foxspeed

Foxspeed "the new red baron" Moderator

Car:
    megane trophy 300edc
    you have checked the main battery lead fuses?

got 12v on main lead to starter solenoid?

Phenom likes this.
  5. Phenom

Phenom Paid Member

Car:
    Glacier White FF 200 Cup
    Yeah checked the big boy fuses on the main lead and is all good. This is a weird part, when it's all wired in, I get less than 1 volt down the lead to the starter and the signal wire never gets any voltage what so ever when actually trying to start the car.

that's why I want to check the relay because as far as I could see yesterday there was nothing wrong with the wires and it could spin the starter if I just wired it straight to the motor to make sure I didn't have a dead new one.

But I can't find another relay it could be apart from the one pictured