Steering rack issues

I can feel a very slight knock coming from the steering. I don't think it's really left to right but almost up and down... it's like there is a play straight down from the steering wheel if that makes sense?

Edit: Mine is a 2012 Gordini with 2,500 miles. The problem is that I can feel it but someone new to the car wont because it is very slight... goodness knows how I'm gonna convince the dealership there is a problem

Last edited:
Welcome to the steering issues mate. Well, it could be loads of things and if you check old threads it's VERY common. I suppose the steering as a package is not up to the job.

Check the obvious first, track rods, track rod ends. I had mine replaced. Then at some point I had another knocking and it ended up been the joint that connects the column and the rack. That was done as well only for another issue to be developed 3 months after...and this time it was the steering rack. I had that replaced a month ago...fingers crossed now...luckily I'm on extended warranty, it cost them nearly a grand.

If you are getting a knocking from the steering and you can't convince the dealers don't worry, it will only get worse and easily noticeable, when is your warranty expiring?

Good luck...ive spent the last 10,000miles hating driving mine because theres a steering issue that reanult wont accept as a problem

Good luck...ive spent the last 10,000miles hating driving mine because theres a steering issue that reanult wont accept as a problem

Very simple. Take your car and park outside and leave it. They soon get the message.

I've just replaced the rack on my r27 with a 200 cup one and it's soooo much better. The standard rack isnt up to it.

I got fed up of paying £324 a month for a ****ty 1.2 courtesy car so took the car back.

I want it sorting, ive got kw v3's sat here calling me to be fitted!!

I got fed up of paying £324 a month for a ****ty 1.2 courtesy car so took the car back.

I want it sorting, ive got kw v3's sat here calling me to be fitted!!

This must be doing your head right in:thumbdown: could you not PX it in and get a newer LY?might be just a few quid more to pay ontop of £324 a month.

Haha yep!

Its off to a motorsport prep place beginning of december to have all the camber etc looked at properly. They recon where the subframe was off for the gearbox change they may have disturbed all the geometry and that could be causing the vague handling...what the clonk is i dont know.

Looked at trading it in, but you just dont get great deals against second hand cars. The clio plus £1000 deposit could get me a brand new 265 with stop start for £385 a month...temptingggggg

Haha yep!

Its off to a motorsport prep place beginning of december to have all the camber etc looked at properly. They recon where the subframe was off for the gearbox change they may have disturbed all the geometry and that could be causing the vague handling...what the clonk is i dont know.

Looked at trading it in, but you just dont get great deals against second hand cars. The clio plus £1000 deposit could get me a brand new 265 with stop start for £385 a month...temptingggggg

very tempting for the 265 but then your V3's will not fit ha!

Thats a very valid point haha

Im off to a race prep place beginning of december for full geometry interrogation to see whether by renault having the subframe off has upset the camber/caster. Fingers crossed the issues are geometry related as renault are so adement its not the rack.

Will go with the KWs in the boot just incase :wink:

if your handy with the spanners its not that hard to drop off the steering arms and coloun joints to check for any play or stiffness in the joints..

only took me 20mins to find a steering issue on a megane that the dealers had missed! o/s/f lower swivel joint was seized!

Mine knocks and has vague handling too. Does yours pull in any direction? I know some have a slight pull to the left, but mine is awful! I've had enough of living with it after loosing count of the amount of parts the dealer has replaced and the amount of times it's had the tracking done. Getting it fully checked out at BTM on Thursday, I will win!!! lol

Yea massive pulls to the left...but not all the time. Steering doesnt self centre neither. If BTM find the problem ill be straight down there with mine haha

Steering is so heavy it gives you arm ache yet Renault say its normal

Yea massive pulls to the left...but not all the time. Steering doesnt self centre neither. If BTM find the problem ill be straight down there with mine haha

well thats wrong for a start as the clio is well known for its "lite" steering....so something cannot be right and if they ignore that then they must be a bunch of w**k**s :whatever:

Bang on description of mine mate! Will let you know if I find anything.

Foxspeed ive tried so hard to convince them.

I did 2500mile trip round europe in a week. One day we covered 700miles. Not once did i feel the car was labourious or hard work to drive.

Now just a trip 5miles down the road and im swearing at it.

It just isnt the car it once was!!

I took it round the ring twice and it did nothing but instill confidence in me as what i regard as a pretty inexperienced track driver. Now it scares me on the road sometimes. The wheels dont feel connected.

Last edited:
^ if Renault had the subframe off I'd definatly check that. Boy on cs.net had a new engine and the subframe wasn't located properly causing massive play in the steering.