Steering wheel removal

I took my wheel off recently after reading as many posts as i could find on here giving as a guide how to do it.

First disconnect battery and leave for 30/45mins

What worked for me is to turn the wheel so centre red stripe is pointing down. then with a mirror on the speedo you can see a keyhole shape hole into the inside of wheel. next step is to push a 8mm bar straight down into the sealed hole on back of wheel.

You then feel the sprung bar on the airbag which is held by a hook. If you look in the mirror down the key hole you will see the spring bar clear the hook. If you push more you can slip a flat end screw driver between to hold spring off the hook.

At this point you can then start to pull the airbag around edge of steering wheel face. with a good healthy pull it will come out of the wheel. Then you have air bag connected by 2 coloured terminals and an earth wire. These unclip then leaving the cruise control wires. Star head socket for centre nut in steering wheel size 45 i think it was.

When centre nuts off gently ease/wiggle wheel towards you to slide off spline but dont yank it to hard as you dont want to damage the air bag squib behind the wheel which is where the wiring connections originate from.

Hope that helps

Cheers
Nick