STOP Overheating

Has anyone had this dash error come up? I had it about a month ago when driving in the Lake District (which I assumed was down to being on a very steep hill, nose up with my engine on for 15 minutes waiting for the missus and the thin air :S)

But after picking the little 'un up yesterday from school and going through McDonalds drive through (my turn to cook lol) it came on again. Overheating with a big red STOP on the bottom right. I was halfway down the road so carried on a bit and it went away after a minute or so, anyone had this issue before? Or is it nothing to worry about?

(I hope not as I've still got a bonnet respray, pads and discs front and back and air con to get fixed...as well as some weird clunking when releasing the clutch!)

I've had this issue today! I was sat crawling in first gear in traffic for about 30 mins.

I've had problems with my 197 that I bought from a garage just over a month ago.
I've just had the clutch replaced and collected the car on Saturday. Then today this has happened, so I am wondering whether they have not plugged something in that's preventing the fan from kicking in?

Can anyone advise? I have little knowledge of mechanics!

is your fan kicking in?

Once I accelerated out of the traffic jam, the light went out, obviously air was getting into the engine whilst I was driving much faster.

ive had the temperture sender fail on mine. was telling the car this same thing yet the car wasnt over heating.
Run the car for say 30 mins, just on idle will do, after this slowly undo the header tank cap, if the water is not boiling then its the sender unit.
If not the possible head gasket?

Thanks guys I'll give that a go tomorrow (fuse & header tank cap)...but God I hope it isn't the head gasket, only just spent 600 quid getting the cambelt done! They also serviced (incl air filter) so there shouldn't be anything in there but ill still give it a check.

I assumed/hoped it would be an issue with a sensor. From what I could tell the actual temp gauge doesn't move from what I consider standard.

Get a cheap ODB reader from ebay mine cost about 50 quid it will tell you real time temps etc clear codes and go for a drive and check the temps some of the better ones will record and have down loadable data to your PC if you like. It could be a number of things not least a restriction in or around the water pump. If you can take the pump out and check the impellor (the bit that pumps the water around) not sure but these might be plastic on a renault. if this is contaminated or broken then the efficiency is reduced hense it will over heat.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Dave

Get a cheap ODB reader from ebay mine cost about 50 quid it will tell you real time temps etc clear codes and go for a drive and check the temps some of the better ones will record and have down loadable data to your PC if you like. It could be a number of things not least a restriction in or around the water pump. If you can take the pump out and check the impellor (the bit that pumps the water around) not sure but these might be plastic on a renault. if this is contaminated or broken then the efficiency is reduced hense it will over heat.

Hope this helps,

Cheers Dave

the water pump isn't a diy job as its driven by the cambelt...

check the fuse boxes at the side and front of the battery first!

Have checked the fuse boxes and they all seem fine. There definitely doesn't look like there is anything clogging the air filter.

I noticed that the conditions where is seems to happen the most (sat in McDonald's drive through) are when there are a lot of cars crammed into a small space and I guess the heat from the exhausts of the other cars and lack of cold, fresh air could be a factor. Once I'm on straight again it cools quickly.

Also, my air con has recently failed, could this be a factor? I wouldn't imagine that the Clios heat regulation could be shot with a bit of warm exhaust fumes floating around :S. Will attach picture to show the temp gauge after it had risen.

I noticed that the conditions where is seems to happen the most (sat in McDonald's drive through) are when there are a lot of cars crammed into a small space and I guess the heat from the exhausts of the other cars and lack of cold, fresh air could be a factor. Once I'm on straight again it cools quickly.

The car can cool itself on idle in 40-50ºC ambient, being close to another car definitely shouldn't be causing this issue.

Also, my air con has recently failed, could this be a factor?

The A/C could have killed the radiator fan? It's supposed to come on to cool the A/C condenser when the car is idling. But if the A/C isn't working you'd need to test the fan with an external supply somehow.