Suggestions on an aftermarket headunit....

vivid white

Platinum Member
Hi All,

Just wanted to ask whether anyone has any suggestions on a CD Player/iPod/MP3 Player compatible for my 197.

Basically I really like the standard CD player look just simple and easy to use but I would like to be able to plug my iPod in and control it from my headunit.

Any suggestions on a standard looking aftermarket headunit?

Thanks
James

Can you not get one of the tunepoint kits? You need the standard head unit that has a cd changer input on the reverse I believe.

They aren't cheap but keep it OEM and adds a bit of value.

Are they just an ebay item or is there a place i could actually buy one?

From Renault or ebay it's an actual official add-on, as I say though not sure it's fit your car.

With the 200 the standard HU doesn't have the CD changer input on the rear so I went with a Kenwood BT60u which does everything apart from drive for you.

You could do that or buy a £10 lead that plugs into the oem heading like I have...

It is really good and can be fed through the glovebox too. Couple that with a brodit mount and you are laughing!

Tbh tune points not the easiest to control. The lead would be easier and just change tracks using iPod. I went for the alpine Ida range as they are soooo good at controlling the iPod, and it uses it's own DAC for far better sound quality.

The best standard looking aftermarket headunits are made by becker, not sure on their current range and ability to control ipods though, you'd need to look into it. They are superb quality units though.

EDIT: looks like they stopped production of headunits, they were never that popular, I think people actually want an aftermarket headunit to look aftermarket. They used to supply units for some premium manufacturers like porsche though, no slouch in sound quality.

Most of the headunits are ipod compatible though so might be worth investigating if they were any good at controlling ipods http://www.mybecker.com/enUK/Automotive+Archive-Product+Overview.html

Last edited:
I do like the looks of the Becker headunits, drfinately the kind of thing im after.

The cable from ebay seems about the easiest option but not sure about having to skips tracks with the ipod. Ill have to maybe buy the cable and see how i get on with it.

Thanks for the replies though and i will be definately looking into all the options mentioned.