For 12 months -
£20

I was told when ordering the car back in August last year that
the tax would be £0 every year. I also had a check on Renault's website this
morning on what they say the tax is and it still states it's £0 a
year. My CO2 emissions is 104 g/km.

Who else has had this problem?

Also, I might as well just
pay £0 for 6 months each time it comes up for a renewal. This doesn't make sense
whats-so-ever!

HELP!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance,
Leigh

Don't have one so not looked but I know they were thinking about charging £0 ones as they are loosing so much in road tax.

Perhaps it comes in at X date hence it being free for 6 but not 12 months?

Just a stab in the dark like.

Did you order any optional items like wheels? This can sometimes be enough to nudge it into a new tax bracket.

Or check the threshold hasn't moved?

Did you order any optional items like wheels? This can sometimes be enough to nudge it into a new tax bracket.
Or check the threshold hasn't moved?

Huh? Tax brackets are based on Co2 emissions not the cost of the vehicle.

I'm with MentalPen on this one, maybe a new rule for your bracket of vehicles is coming in at some point between 6-12months time. So it's free up until that point. Personally I'd do the 6months now, then try and figure out what the story is in the future.

But the co2 can increase with a simply change of wheel/tyre when it's already close to another.
I've been stung before when I ordered optional wheels on a car and the co2 was slightly higher than I had expected!

Really?! Wow, I wouldn't have thought they'd bother testing every optional extra. I mean adding things like leather seats, and AC would increase the weight of a vehicle too - which would increase its fuel consumption.

Maybe different spec/trim levels eg lux pack/cup etc.

The wheel comment is very true

when i worked for Ford you were able to get a fiesta zetec S 1.6 tdci with the 17 inch wheels when it was stage 4 emissions

when everything moved over to stage 5 emission compliance the power required from the engine to turn the 17" wheel was greater than the power needed to turn the 16" wheel therefore the overall average co2 increased by 1g/km and pushed it into the higher bracket

if you have an emission band of 104g/km you will not be able to tax the car for 6 months. its 12 months only

when you was sold the car 104g/km was 0 road tax but on 1st April this year the government moved the goalposts so from now on it will be £20 per year

mine has gone up from £140 to £145 due to the movement of the tax bands

Last edited:
Good way to print money this exhaust emission thing!
IE. If not earning enough, simply move the goal posts.

I'd just tax it for 6 months and keep it free?

you shouldn't have to do anything from October seen as it's just the tax disc your doing it for really, for one to be shown.

I'd just tax it for 6 months and keep it free?

you shouldn't have to do anything from October seen as it's just the tax disc your doing it for really, for one to be shown.

You'll still have to 'tax' the car from October, it's just the paper bit they are doing away with. What you are doing by taxing it is declaring that the car will be on the road. Just because it's free doesn't mean you won't have to do it anymore.

Or go back to the way it was (and the way it still is with motorbikes) and just base it on engine size. My 650cc Suzuki GSX650F costs £78 a year to tax, it's gone up every single year I've had it without exception. I'd also say that it produces less pollution and does less damage to the road due to its weight than any Clio does. Had to tax the 200 recently too, that cost me £265 for the year.

Similar Thread Suggestions