Tell Me About Your Helmets

petercronin

Paid Member
As the title says I'd like to hear all about your helmets, good or bad.

I'm looking at buying one for track days as up to now I've only been hiring them. I've had a bit of a look around but would like to hear some honest reviews before I just buy a random one and end up making a bad choice.

Also does anybody know of any actual shops around or close to north east England where I could try them on to check they're comfy. I know there's plenty of bike shops but I'm sure I've heard somewhere that some track day companies don't let you use bike helmets (something to do with the visor opening being too big???) and some are starting to stop you using open face ones too.

Very strange about the visor opening being too big. So when you're on a bike open to the elements the visor opening is fine but when you are in a cage (car) the opening is too big??? That just sounds nonsense. As a biker I know fitment is more important than style or brand. Always buy the best fitting helmet you can afford. I have an Arai helmet which was £400 and fits perfect. You can't put a price on your head.

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
Just got a cheap open face Sparco jobby from Demon Tweeks

Wasn't sure if I'd like being on track so didn't want to throw too much money at it.

Fits fine so can't see a reason to change. Won't win many style awards but comfort is key.

When I went on track I borrowed my mums bike helmet :/ -1 man points for wearing a light pink helmet
But it did the job and saved me having to get one or hire!

Reactions: Jimmy
Very strange about the visor opening being too big. So when you're on a bike open to the elements the visor opening is fine but when you are in a cage (car) the opening is too big??? That just sounds nonsense. As a biker I know fitment is more important than style or brand. Always buy the best fitting helmet you can afford. I have an Arai helmet which was £400 and fits perfect. You can't put a price on your head.
Sorry should have been a bit more specific. It's more for open top cars that I've heard this about. Obviously the Clio isn't, but the plan in the future is to get one so I'd rather not have to buy another helmet.

Reactions: LOCKE
I have a few due to owning bikes over the years, the No Open face policy on track days is for Open top cars. As Locke said its all to do with fitment more than anything.
I have a Shark, AGV, Arai, Shoei & a Simpson and to be fair the most comfortable ones are the Arai and Shoei, but they all fit differently for different shapes of heads. I find myself mostly using the Shoei.
Just go to any bike shop and try different ones on.

I have a Koden KSF15 which is a full face helmet but came with visor & peak. I use the peak as I am in Clio, but visor would be good in an open top car. Tbh, as said it's more about the fit. Some helmets suit different shaped heads. When I was a biker I found Arai helmets fitted me. The Koden does too at a fraction of the price & for my use (occasional track days) makes financial sends.