Temperature Indicator Oddity

GrottyBananas

Platinum Member
Last night I hit some material on the road (ply 10mm thick; a sheet must have been shed and other drivers had the misfortune to strike it in their vehicles, which consequently turned one sheet into many large pieces) there was the sound of several impacts to the front of the car. I pulled over and checked for damage which was surprising insignificant: only a couple of scratches to the lower part of the bumper.

There are no fluids dripping from the car, there is no perceivable damage to the condenser (I think that is what it is called). I have checked the level of the radiator coolant (today) and there is no drop. The under tray is intact, and from what I can see, unmarked.

However, while driving the car (post impact) at a consistent speed, the coolant temperature gauge needle appears to be in constant motion between the second and third mark.

Definition of constant motion: Needle has reached the 3rd marker, holds position for ten seconds or so, needle descends to just above the second marker (this takes roughly the same time), it immediately begins its ascent to the 3rd mark, taking about ten or so seconds to reach it former place. Then the cycle begins again.

This is odd as ever since I have had the car, when warmed after driving for a few miles from cold, the needle reaches the third mark and remains steady (only during the heat of the summer while sitting in traffic does the needle venture ever so slightly past this third mark, then returns to normal; I am assuming because the fan kicks in.)

The car drives and feels as it should, so it is a bit of a mystery why the needle should behave in this manner (given that which I have described previously).

With reference to the Clio Driver's Handbook page 1.60, no warning lights are illuminated, and the temperature indicator does not exceed the third marker.

It is just a bit odd.

I will have to remove the under tray and have a closer inspection but for the time being I thought someone here may have some insight into this strange behaviour.