Test drive yesterday.

So yesterday being my birthday and having not much to do since i had the day off work i decided i would head into town for some clothes and maybe a test drive.

So i walked into the Vauxhall garage (i hate Vauxhall) but i fancy a new car and the Arctic VXR was appealing to me, little tuning, big performance, looks good and fits what i fancy in a car (the clio is just a hassle when i want to nip to the shops and stuff).

So as soon as i walked into Peter Vardy i was bombarded with sales ****s. Do the usual details, tell him what i want blah blah, gives me a **** price for the clio etc etc. But we got onto things and i got into 'the last ever Arctic'.

First impressions, seats hug me a load more than the Clio's for some reason, but i pulled out of a junction and liked the steering and the feel of the car etc. So i put the foot down expecting a huge explosion of power which people go on about with the VXR. My face just dropped.. I was very very dissapointed.

It hadn't lived up to what i expected. It felt slow and comfortable (it is a fast car and got up to speed fast, just not what i expected). So i drove a few miles, round a roundabout and floored it from first and damn it got up to speed quick, but still felt something missing..

The sales man said all excited 'what do you think?' my reply? 'nothing compared to the clio, obviously not as fast, but the clio has just got a raw race feeling when booting it up and the VXR just feels boring'. The dealer was gob smacked! He said thats the first person to say that. He wants to test drive a clio and tried to say id love his stage 2 VXR (which i probably would).

So i went away and thought about it, been in my mates Arctic with a Remus and the car felt much much better than the one i drove!

So heres me left making a decision.. Honest opinion? The car doesn't feel like a hot hatch, but would i have one? I think so.. :wink:

Pointless story but just thought i would share.

Oh and he tried to tell me the LY R27 is more rare than the DB.. Vauxhall dealer trying to tell me about Renaults.. He got put in his place :wink:

please don't buy a corsa :tongueout:

Never!! Never thought i'd consider an Astra but i have my reasons.. Not really fond of the R26 no more and can't find one low enough mileage, and lost enough money on the Clio to put enough money into a 250.. Golf GTI and Leon, expensive to buy for the mileage.. Blah blah :smile:

tbh the corsa power delivery is different, as soon as u hit the throttle pedal u have it, where as the clio u have rev its nuts off, so its will sound and feel like its faster where actually they r both the same in a str8 line,

tbh the corsa power delivery is different, as soon as u hit the throttle pedal u have it, where as the clio u have rev its nuts off, so its will sound and feel like its faster where actually they r both the same in a str8 line,

Yeah that's true, I just suppose i expected a huge push and smile from power but it never came. lol

I was following an arden corsa and it actually looked quite nice. I really didn't want to say it. but it did. Lol!

Turbo'd cars with ~200bhp just aren't as fun as the clio, not really sure why but they just aren't!

I had something similar recently when testing an R26, I love the meg and R26 in particular but when I tested a couple it just missed that I don't know what for me.

I think the clio's are just fun. The meg is a great car and gets up to speed quickly but it just missed something for me

Surely this is verging on treason on this site?! :lol:

It's actually against my religion haha!!

I had something similar recently when testing an R26, I love the meg and R26 in particular but when I tested a couple it just missed that I don't know what for me.

I think the clio's are just fun. The meg is a great car and gets up to speed quickly but it just missed something for me

You hit it right on the head Rich!

Nothing against Corsas other than the obvious image issues.

I'd love a test drive in a Corsa but imo it's a road car whereas the Clio is much more focused towards being used on a track.

I had the same feeling after I test drove the Meg 250. Jesus it is quick but it feels disconnected to me. The Clio is an experience, not a lot of other stuff I have driven feels anywhere near as alive. Just my personal opinion but I know a few guys have said the same too.

I had the same feeling after I test drove the Meg 250. Jesus it is quick but it feels disconnected to me.

That's a shame, was hoping to get a 250 in a year or 2 but don't want to lose the excitement of the clio

You should read the group test Evo did with the 200, vxr, polo gti and mini jcw a couple of months ago. you may find it interesting. there's also a vid on their site for it.
VXR's are only good if you plan on tuning it IMO.

Similar Thread Suggestions