The crunchy 197

Discussion in 'Projects/Progress Threads' started by RSRowe, Dec 6, 2018.

1. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Evening gents.

Probably sick to death of seeing all the project threads on here, but I thought I'd create my own so I can keep a bit of a history my time during 197 ownership.
    My friend originally bought the car back in February of this year in the hope of starting to do trackside alongside me who had an ST170 at the time. Due to other commitments he ended up selling it to another mate of mine, and the on to me at the start of August.

The car is a boggo 197, complete with tatty paint, rusty boot, power increasing bonnet vent, and crunchy gearbox.
    Over the course of my ownership I hope to turn it into a clubsport style track car which I will use on UK tracks and trips over to the Nürburgring.
    The car is a very basic spec, having only a secondary decat, ktec (I think) cat back exhaust, drop in filter, and h&r springs coupled with cup shocks.

FB_IMG_1532985091694.jpg

ML7_3069.jpg

IMG-20180826-WA0011.jpg

racetracker_5526519_84253.jpg

XSP_496.jpeg

45470764474_1e6490be86_o.jpg

46144563732_774b619227_o.jpg

Once Christmas is out the way I wanna try and get the box sorted and will likely chuck a diff and clutch in at the same time.
    I'd really like to get myself some coilovers for next year's trackdays too, but the current setup feels that good I don't particularly want to mess with it.

Beany, Sean197, Big Ben and 2 others like this.

2. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197

Little bit of footage having a play around on Monday at Oulton Park. Was completely blown away with the performance of the car despite having to wait 3 years between gear changes.

Sean197, Big Ben, Mark_L and 3 others like this.
  3. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Bit of a boring update for this evening. Hit a pothole Wednesday night and it seems to of killed one of my tyres.
    Shame as they're only 6 weeks old. Fingers crossed the rim hasn't buckled.....you can see on the lip where the rim protector has folded over.

20181208_135048.jpg

If anyone was wondering , you can fit 16" focus wheels over the stock brembos :sweatsmile:

20181208_140024.jpg

Beany, Big Ben and majki like this.
  4. majki

majki Paid Member

Car:
    CS197 - Rouge
    do you have some balance weights on the focus wheel ?

5. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Yes bud. There is quite a bit of clearance.
    I do have 20mm spacers on though which helps.

6. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
    shame that..gave you a chance to clean the wheel :thumb:

7. RSRowe

RSRowe Paid Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    You're right. I do take them off every so often and clean the insides. Just going to be a bit annoying now having one fresh tyre.

Also, upon further inveinvestiga, the focus wheels bind against the calliper :oops: