Timing Cover Oil Leak, Startup Noise and Solenoid Seal?

19Zen

Platinum Member
Hi guys,

My car is currently at 99k miles and is honestly driving the best it's ever felt, everything is so on point from the power delivery, steering and suspension. I do have a few issues though which need some attention and could do with some advice please.

I have a slight oil leak from the O/S top of the engine, it looks like it's from behind the timing belt cover, possibly the head itself on that corner.

There's also a slight whine on cold start, which increases with revs and if parked on a steep incline. It disappears once warm and imagine it is something oil fed at the top of the engine.

I also have a very slight weep from the VVT Solenoid seal where it's always a bit damp, is it easy to remove and refit with a new seal?

The car is running so well but is approaching 100,000 miles, with 2nd timing belt due next year and I'm saving for a dream car, so a bit dubious about any expensive repairs but don't feel at this point I can walk away just yet.

Thanks for any advice. :smile:

Last edited:
The whine you get on a cold start.... I have something similar and it usually lasts around ~20 seconds before disappearing. Only happens upon cold-start too... It's not high pitched, just sounds like a whining like a water pump or something?

Apologies I can't help with any of the other issues you have... I'm sure some of the guys on here will point you in the right direction though!

Reactions: 19Zen
Seal

The dephaser seal is easy to change. Remove the bolt holding down the dephaser and cylinder 4 coil pack, pull out dephaser and replace the seal.

Reactions: 19Zen
Seal

The dephaser seal is easy to change. Remove the bolt holding down the dephaser and cylinder 4 coil pack, pull out dephaser and replace the seal.
Thanks for that, I wasn't sure if it's a case of the seal being difficult to remove and refit and best to just leave in place for such a small leak.

I've noticed since the weather has warmed up slightly it no longer has the slight wine on startup.

The leak from o/s/r of engine is very slow so hard to pinpoint, I cleaned it up and it hasn't reappeared. My tech friend says this Engine is known for it on that corner though.

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk