Tool Chest Organiser

So I got a tool chest organiser for xmas, and I have moved all my tools into it, but the problem I am having is that the sockets keep falling over and getting mixed up etc. I bought some foam from Dunelm (terrible decision) and it's not very good, it leaves bits everywhere, and looks awful.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to organise them? I bought the halfords tool tray inserts, which don't fit my tool chest, and I don't really want to buy their socket rails as I don't like the look of them.

Any DIY option that looks good and doesn't break the bank?

If you have enough height in your toolbox (about 75mm) you can get a 3 piece kit from ebay for less than a tenner, it lets the sockets stand up and has markings on the end for sizes.

I will get pictures tomorrow, its amazing how many sockets you collect over the years, I have 10 10mm sockets!

My girlfriend has just given me a fantastic idea, silicone! Make a template the size of the tray, put the sockets in the arrangement I want, and then pour silicone sealant and let it cure.

Like this:

Last edited:
I will get pictures tomorrow, its amazing how many sockets you collect over the years, I have 10 10mm sockets!

My girlfriend has just given me a fantastic idea, silicone! Make a template the size of the tray, put the sockets in the arrangement I want, and then pour silicone sealant and let it cure. Only downside is that it could get quite expensive.

Like this:

We did a job at work fairly recently where we needed loads of silicone sealant.

Some of the general purpose stuff was under £2 a tube. I'm also sure i've seen it in Poundland, Poundstretcher etc......

We did a job at work fairly recently where we needed loads of silicone sealant.

Some of the general purpose stuff was under £2 a tube. I'm also sure i've seen it in Poundland, Poundstretcher etc......

Yeah, see my edit, I was looking at food grade silicone. I added a new video of the cheaper solution! I can get general purpose silicone for £2 a 500g tube!

Reactions: sevenfourate
Yeah, see my edit, I was looking at food grade silicone. I added a new video of the cheaper solution! I can get general purpose silicone for £2 a 500g tube!

Looks a fun project ! I'd really enjoy making a mold as a holder for something. Really good idea........

Is it sad that I'm getting excited about doing it? :tongueout: Black bin bag in the tray and pour silicone in and then let it set, or somehow make a mold out of cardboard.

Why didn't I think of that I watched that video when it came out!

Is it sad that I'm getting excited about doing it? :tongueout: Black bin bag in the tray and pour silicone in and then let it set, or somehow make a mold out of cardboard.

Line the drawer with greaseproof paper?

Why didn't I think of that I watched that video when it came out!

Line the drawer with greaseproof paper?
I could do, or I could take the tray out completely? Silicone doesn't stick to anything so pouring it straight in shouldn't be an issue I'd have thought. Looks like a project for tomorrow!

I tried using the silicone tonight and while it made a nice mold, I won't have enough time to place the sockets and it won't look uniform etc. Nice idea, but not for something so detailed.

Right, so I will need a heck of a lot of silicone to make this work, and by the time I have bought just the silicone, it will be cheaper to buy foam from these guys: http://www.shadowfoam.com/

Roughly £10 for a specific size, but you can add multiple sheets of the same size for a few extra quid. (1 sheet = £10, 2 sheets of the same size = £12 etc) I have made it even cheaper by buying one big piece of foam to the correct depth dimensions, just times 3 length for the 3 trays. Saves a few quid but I'll have to cut it myself. An example of this is the two drawers on the main unit, one sheet is £13 while 2 individual sheets is £15. Now, what colour topping...

I have ordered a sample so I will see how that is before I order the rest.

Reactions: 930Tech
I tried using the silicone tonight and while it made a nice mold, I won't have enough time to place the sockets and it won't look uniform etc. Nice idea, but not for something so detailed.

Right, so I will need a heck of a lot of silicone to make this work, and by the time I have bought just the silicone, it will be cheaper to buy foam from these guys: http://www.shadowfoam.com/

Roughly £10 for a specific size, but you can add multiple sheets of the same size for a few extra quid. (1 sheet = £10, 2 sheets of the same size = £12 etc) I have made it even cheaper by buying one big piece of foam to the correct depth dimensions, just times 3 length for the 3 trays. Saves a few quid but I'll have to cut it myself. An example of this is the two drawers on the main unit, one sheet is £13 while 2 individual sheets is £15. Now, what colour topping...

Real shame that Greg! Would have been a good little project. Infact you did get me thinking about it and more options, for example Resin moulding but thats perhaps looking into it a bit too deeply.

Another thing did come to my mind is the added weight of a lot of silicone coupled with already what is a heavy drawer with sockets etc.. (obviously depending how much you'd have used)

I can tell you from experience it is NOT easy to cut the shapes out neatly. Getting a rough shape is fairly easy but when you cut and lift the foam out the area under where the item will sit will be quite messy. It's much easier to cut the shapes using a Dremel with a router attachment.

Another alternative is to buy a couple of camping roll mats of contrasting colours and literally cut all the way through one of them and then glue the cut one to the base one.

One more thing, there are various foam densities you can buy. For tools you'll ideally want a high density foam (there are proper ratings but I can't remember the number) so it doesn't rip or crumble around the edges of the cut out.

Reactions: Greg0986
One more thing, there are various foam densities you can buy. For tools you'll ideally want a high density foam (there are proper ratings but I can't remember the number) so it doesn't rip or crumble around the edges of the cut out.

Thanks for that! I will see how this foam is, as the website has videos with tools being placed and then the foam cut and it looks good. What I need is a mini saw, so I can cut under the foam to make where the tools sit, flat.

Looks like a good idea, you could probably have a thin sheet of red on the bottom then a thicker black sheet on top with the shapes cut out.

So I got the ShadowFoam today, awesome stuff. You actually get a decent size sample, one piece of normal underfoam that they use and then one piece of foam with the top coloured layer. Easy to cut with the included blade, and the tools fit snugly. A lot of patient and practice will be needed to do it without ruining it but it seems doable.

Pic of the coloured top layer foam. I cut this piece in half, it was twice the size initially. I did cut it without really concentrating, but when I get the proper version that I know isn't a test piece, I will be more careful.

vWhg2as.png

I will be getting more soon to do the trays!

Reactions: Sean197