Trackday brakes

Appreciate what you say about driving style but think I'm ok. Can't brake later or harder, if I brake harder then the abs goes crazy. And the instructor at my bedford trackday said he was pleased I hadn't booked any more time as he'd have to bull**** his way through it! After that day at bedford my discs were absolutely knackered with very uneven deposits over the discs, looking on google a lot of people have this problem with DS2500 on track and say they're not really up to proper track use.

Am so tempted to go to 330mm discs, probably the godspeed ones as they're cheaper than the PF discs and don't have the noise issues a lot of people have with the PFs but they're so expensive at £500.

If I can get away with some track pads then I'll do that. Will look into the DS1.11 now, think they're what the cup racers use?

Ds2500 aren't up to consistent track work, ebc yellows are brilliant. A mate runs them on his 200 with ebc discs and they're VERY impressive on track and absolutely fine on the road.
I'm getting mintex 1155's in a couple of weeks, I'll report back once fitted. The 1144's are great for fast road but not quite up to track work.

To be honest, You either go for an out and out performance pad which probably will squeel & let off a fair amount of dust, or go for a softer pad like what you have which is civilised but will go off.

It'll be a job finding a pad which will do everything perfectly as I'm sure you know.

DS2500 are over priced and over rated. I've never liked them and I won't sell them. I'm a Mintex fan myself, they do a wide variety of compounds to suit lots of levels of use. M1155 or M1166 for track, depending on how quick you are and if you need them to be decent from cold on the road

Im not going back to DS2500 after seeing the Mu/Temperature chart and reading up on them. Theyre more a fast road pad with the odd trackday thrown in.

DS2_11_zps9205bebc.png

are you guys using same brake pads in the front and at the rear, pls?

currently I have ferodo ds 2500 in the front and normal brembo brake pads at the rear. So basicallly I am probably more easily overheating my front pads?

Would it be a smart idea to use ds 2500 in the rear also?
Would my front pads last longer and would I have shorter brake distance, as the rears would work also?

In the meantime I check yellow stuff, which is rare in Hungary, but lets give a chance, I am continouosly learning :smile:

Standard Brembo pads on the rear will be fine, i upgraded to performance pads on the rear but you don't notice a difference as the rear doesn't do that much breaking.

Has anyone else tried Endless? In my opinion it's the best of both worlds, a race orientated pad that doesn't squeek on the road...

EBC Yellow stuffs last 10 laps of snet full attack very little fade for me on standard discs they do need a good warm up when cold on the road though

Standard Brembo pads on the rear will be fine, i upgraded to performance pads on the rear but you don't notice a difference as the rear doesn't do that much breaking.

Has anyone else tried Endless? In my opinion it's the best of both worlds, a race orientated pad that doesn't squeek on the road...

Yeah I tried at Nurburgring in a Swift stage 2+ car -www.Rent4ring.de- on a rainy day at 1st November 2012. I was shocked about their performance! massive performance, I felt the swift was glued on the track, when braking! I know in that swift had a brake balance otption(sorry for my english), but I decided to use proper brake pads in the rear also.

I was also impressed how good were the toyo r888 in wet conditions!

here is my setup.....

546245_10151187828554153_1037753874_n.jpg

PF 330mm disc, CL RC6, RBF600 fluid and Goodridge braided hoses. I genuinely think you would be hard pushed to get a clio to stop harder and faster than with this setup.... short of fitting AP Racing 6 pot calipers or similar.

Its not a cheap setup, but for no compromise, lap after lap of super hard braking.... you wont find better! :smile: (all IMO of course!!)

I wouldn't personally uprate the rear pads unless it was an out & out track car.

They do very little & because of this you'll never really utilise the harder compound. I've seen it too often that chaps will change the rears & find the rear trying to overtake the front end.

From everything I've read over the last few weeks I'm tempted to give performance friction pads a go, looking at the 01 compound. They're expensive at £215 but get top reviews absolutely everywhere, have a big reputation in the porsche world and with race teams.

Was also looking at pagid RS29 (yellows) but these are just silly money for our cars at £300+ and most people rate them similarly to the performance friction pads.

These 2 pads seem to be used as a benchmark in a lot of reviews, but the talk of endless pads is interesting as I can't see them in clio or megane fitment?

From everything I've read over the last few weeks I'm tempted to give performance friction pads a go, looking at the 01 compound. They're expensive at £215 but get top reviews absolutely everywhere, have a big reputation in the porsche world and with race teams.

Was also looking at pagid RS29 (yellows) but these are just silly money for our cars at £300+ and most people rate them similarly to the performance friction pads.

These 2 pads seem to be used as a benchmark in a lot of reviews, but the talk of endless pads is interesting as I can't see them in clio or megane fitment?

We've used these in both our race cars & track cars, I've found the disc's good but the pads have dissintergrated under heavy usage many times!

Should be ok for just a normal use track car tho imo.

Can't fault Pagid.

You can get them for the clio, i have them and i paid around 300 Euros for them. Ok the price is quite high but they are very long lasting. I've done a lot of road miles and at least 6 tracks days/10 laps at the ring, they still have 70% of life left in them :wink:

I recently invested in some Carbotech XP8s. Get absolute rave reviews everywhere. Initial impressions here;

http://www.clio197.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29467&page=6

Will report back after second track day with them at Bedford on the 20th.

+ 1 for these had them on my evo a few years back. They are unbelievable how good they are. Tried the 2500 and . Don't get what everyone likes about them. Everyone goes on about how good they but personally don't like them.

I wouldn't personally uprate the rear pads unless it was an out & out track car.

They do very little & because of this you'll never really utilise the harder compound. I've seen it too often that chaps will change the rears & find the rear trying to overtake the front end.

Completely different to what I've experienced mind. Back to back results at cadwell and yellows all round were the best as I found before I swapped the rear pads the back locked up well before the front would.

Well after loads of different suggestions here and spending hours upon hours reading various forums where everyone has their own opinions I was none the wiser!

Everyone has their personal favourites but very few people have actually tried a big range of pads on the same car, comparing reviews is impossible!

All the pads which work well on track are apparently noisy on the road, something I personally can't stand. So, I think I'll end up with separate road and track pads which led me to carbon lorraine RC6. Great reviews from everyone, the only negatives are some people had issues with the pads falling apart. I'll be checking them before and after each trackday so not really an issue. Also a fair bit cheaper than the likes of pagid/performance friction etc.

Lets hope they're good!