Trans problems (shock horror!)

Morning guys hope you're all well :smile:

I believe this is a common issue on the 197, I've use the search bar but no definitive answers so thought I'd better ask

Okay, ever since I bought the car the gearbox has always been alittle stiff, but it has just got progressively worse! Basically, with the engine OFF, the gearbox feels lovely and smooth, selects every gear no problem, if I put it in gear, clutch in and start it up it's absolutely fine, however if I come to some traffic lights and select neutral and try to get it back into gear it's a bloody nightmare, have to literally ram it in alot of the time, to the point were if I don't put it into 1st before I stop rolling then I have to switch off the engine, into gear then start it up again. The box also feels really smooth when the car is actually rolling, no problems at all finding gear, no crunching or funny noises, just purely when I'm stationary with engine running it struggles, and that's not just 1st, it's any gear including 6th and reverse

I switch out the box oil a few weeks back, stuck some titan Fuchs stuff in which was recommended on a search thread on here thinking it might help but it hasn't

Getting annoying now because I just about have the car exactly how I want it, this is the last issue I need to sort

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated :smile:

Dan

Hahaha would you believe I have literally just finished watching that vid then checked back in on here , thanks for taking the time to reply bud, looks easy enough, I shall start there

Reactions: lewishunter98
If the clutch bleed doesn't work it might be the cover/clutch failure, seems fairly common these. You could do a test by dropping the clutch and revving it up to 5/6k in 1st - should be no creep.

Where are you based?

Hello bud cheers for the reply :smile:, I'm based in Arnold, north of Nottingham city centre :smile:. Apart from the wheels needing a refurb and the springs waiting to be fit (when I find the energy basically!) The car will be done and I'll be happy, but this problem is certainly becoming a major one

Elf NFP or Redline Mtl are better fluids. Might be worth trying before major surgery is needed

Agreed bud thank you very much, worth a go before start spending big bucks haha! Although I did purchase warranty when I bought the car, sadly doesn't cover the clutch but does seem to cover most things gearbox related :smile:

Have also been advised to try some good old 10w40 in the box, came from a chap who knows what he's talking about but never tried it myself haha

Hiya guys,

Just swing by Halfords auto centre, it's the preferred garage for the warranty company that was used, not overly helpful, they didn't even sit in the car and have a play around, it one of the lads came out and said, and I quote "nice car mate, I used to work for Renault, I'd put money on it being the slave cylinder"

Can any of you guys in the know clarify on that at all? Big job and all that?

Honestly mate, I wouldn't waste too much time. Try what I suggested - rev to 5k in 1st, with foot on the clutch - car shouldn't move one bit.

Hiya TCW, I was going to send you a private message but then thought I may as well stick it on here incase it helps others out that looks at it, I tried the 5k test, found a flat piece of carpark at work, first gear, handbrake off and help it at 5k, but after some noise, and some funny looks from the neighbors , the car didn't even move a micron, so I'm going to try bleed the clutch just to eliminate something else then after that I guess it's going to be box removal time :worried: