Unleaded vs Super Unleaded

Sorry if already done before but just reading the MPG thread and a few members are gaining MPG using V Power etc.

I use V Power in my 182 and R27 aswell as my bike. I personally don't care about MPG as my cars don't do enough miles and my bike is purely for fun. If I needed something economical it certainly wouldn't be a Clio RS! The 182 is very smooth running V Power so gaining MPG is a bonus.

So what you guys using and why?

I only ever use Super in mine, although I have used regular unleaded and noticed no difference whatsoever. They are able to run on regular, but like with a lot of things with cars, it makes sense to use the better stuff.

I use Momentum99 as the car seems to prefer it over 95 octane. Smoother running & seems to perform better. Recently I have been adding Redex in the hope that it'll keep the engine nice & clean inside & I think it has improved the fuel economy though that's not a priority for me in the Clio which was bought purely as a second car for fun driving.

Always used V Power in my 200 from day 1, so it'd be hard to compare a difference in MPG between the two! I have a Shell loyalty card so I stock up on the triple points, plus if Shell claim to increase protection/conditioning of the insides then I'll buy into it! Working these cars as hard as they're designed to, a little extra protection won't hurt even if it's something as simple as the fuel!

Reactions: Pav
I use V-Power exclusively... I once put in Tescos Super-Unleaded and my car started bunny hopping! Always smooth running with V-Power.

I vary between super and normal unleaded, depending on use. If I know I have some periods of spirited driving coming up I'll make sure its got super in, but I don't bother if im just doing my short commute. I would say it's also important where you fill up. When I raced karts I did quite a bit of dyno testing of the engines and tried different fuels. I found the super at the station nearest to the circuit was crap, probably as it had sat in the tanks a long time losing octane (it was in the middle of nowhere). Now I try and fill up from a busy site that turns over it's wet stock regularly.

I only use V power from Shell. Had the car mapped recently to exclusively use high octane fuel.
Not sure what will happen if I put 95 in?

Think my MPG is very similar to before?.....Crap :worried:

Reactions: sevenfourate
I use Momentum99 as the car seems to prefer it over 95 octane. Smoother running & seems to perform better. Recently I have been adding Redex in the hope that it'll keep the engine nice & clean inside & I think it has improved the fuel economy though that's not a priority for me in the Clio which was bought purely as a second car for fun driving.
I use V Power because it contains cleaners.
I use V-Power exclusively... I once put in Tescos Super-Unleaded and my car started bunny hopping! Always smooth running with V-Power.
I filled the R1 with Tesco high octane and it sounded rougher and got less miles out a tank.

I always fill up with the Tesco 99 stuff.

Makes the engine feel a lot smoother, starts up a lot smoother and makes the exhaust have little pops when idling. I wouldn't even think about putting the cheaper stuff in and I can tell the difference immediately.

I only use V power from Shell. Had the car mapped recently to exclusively use high octane fuel.
Not sure what will happen if I put 95 in?

Think my MPG is very similar to before?.....Crap :worried:

Pretty much this.

I was advised to use V-Power, i have a Shell garage directly on my way to work and the car was mapped for V-Power.

Plus its the Stella Artois of fuels........reassuringly expensive :think:

Reactions: Big Ben
What prices you guys paying?

V Power North Glasgow 1.26

Do you know i don't have a clue.

BUT: I worked in Ely in Cambridgeshire last weekend and stopped for fuel in the work van. I'm sure their 'normal' unleaded was 119p per litre.

Isnt it (V-Power) usually around 8p a litre more expensive ?

Read a thread on the Nissan GTR forum where apparently v-power becomes 97/95 ron when left for a while. No idea on the legitimacy of it. I myself use momentum. I can't understand why more kits haven't been developed to allow cars to run on E85. Perhaps once the government are done demonising diesels and petrol cars roam the land freely and in great numbers, it will come back.

^^ Yep this makes sense. See my earlier post on old fuel...
But the thing is, these guys were saying the fuel was going off, whilst it was in their car! I mean they must have a serious butt dyno or be driving every 3 months or something. I don't think anyone living in a major city needs to worry about fuel going off whilst sitting under the forecourt, but in smaller towns/villages I guess it could be a concern.

Reactions: Gordini