UPDATED Just had 200 gear box put on my 197

I think woody knows this one, then so do a few of you know doubt!

Will a 200 gear box fit straight onto a 197 with no modifications at all?

I need to sort out a new gear box due to if having knackered up on my 197, and thought I might aswell fit a 200 box with he longer rations to it if im shedding that much cash out.... Although didnt want to shed any more out for modifying existing parts, just want my garage to take out old one, put it in new one.. job done!!

Last edited:
Check ebay mate theres usually some for sale on there, you do have the un-answerable question of was it abused or looked after.

A 200 box will fit as a straight swap.

Nice one chaps

and yeah your right about getting one that has either been looked after or one that's been absolutely thrashed!
I guess its a gamble really......

You notice any difference to the 197 box Woody?

Last edited:
whats the difference between the later 197 and the 200, is something like shorter 1st 2nd 3rd and longer 4th 5th on the 200?

The later 197 boxes have longer ratios so if thats all your after, no need to get a 200 box

Nice one, I'm just after a new box really as mine is shot :worried: ..... Not that fussed really! Just want it to work properly, just thought a 200 box would be an added bonus, turning a crap situation into a good one.

Ive not had a quote so to speak, but my garage who Ive been going to since I was 17 (im 28 now) are going to be doing it. He said it would probably take a day, maybe a day and a half, would be around the £180 to £200 mark i would say.

Last edited:
Thats a good price mate. U shud change ure clutch n fly while its out :smile:

Yeah I was thinking that, although unfortunately don't have the spare funds due to wedding saving! :blink: Im hopefully not doing to regret it..... lol changing the clutch that is

On a long run i get near 45 mpg. The revs drop from 3500 at 70 to 3000 at 70 in 6th not a massive difference tbh.

Mine's doing roughly 3000-3100rpm @ 70mph. Annoyingly the exhaust drone completely disappears at 80mph and it's whisper quiet and much nicer to cruise in, but that's illegal. Bah!... probably tuned for the French 130kmh limit??

What's a 197 like?