V6 airbox - correct orientation?

TB Rich

Paid Member
Guys, which way round is the 'right' way to fit them? By 'right' I'm referring to the way the Cup Racers and R3 Maxi (230cv) cars fit them - assuming they know best. I think it's with the intake hole behind the headlight??

Googling V6 airbox's seems to bring up a picture with it fitted differently every other image!!

Cheers

That's the right way.

Behind the headlight.

This is how I had it:

29112009166.jpg

Used the battery case as a heat shield and didn't have to relocate the fuse boxes.

Last edited:
On the underside of the box you can see 3 prongs that would allow it to snap in to place with what it was originally on. Most people chop them off.

Nice one, cheers guys. Most useful :smile:

Don't suppose anyone with a V6 box could take some measurements for me please?
I've got my dry cell lying flat and don't know if the V6 is too deep to sit on top of it?
itg-2-223x300.jpg

If it is, I'm thinking either move the battery (dont really want to) or buy the V6 inlet pipe and attach a filter to that. That way I've got the correct tuned length pipe etc, just need a big cone and I'll fab up my own carbon box/heat shields.

This won't fit - 100%. IMO

You could try and fit the battery behind the V6 airbox.

Last edited:
I don't really want to move the battery tbh. It's secured very nicely, mounted on a thick wad of anti vibration foam and firmly located in the OE tray. Also didn't require any changes to the battery wiring.

Still if anyone can drop a measure over the airbox that would be great, it's the depth from top surface (facing bonnet) to the bottom surface I need to know.
Cheers

Found the measurements via google images! I thought the filters and therefore box were square, I guess not?

foto2-14.jpg

So I made a 26cm high box, unless I'm prepaired to run a hot rod style supercharger hood, not fitting by a mile on top of my battery! The battery and foam comes to about 11.5cm in height, and they are sat on the OE battery tray which I assume add's 1 or 2cm ???
  • Out of interest does the V6 airbox need the OE battery tray removing or not?

Think I'm going to fit a Jetex cone to the V6 inlet pipe - I've calaculated that the V6 filter has 741cm* surface area. Found a Jetex filter with an area of 855cm*. And I think it'll fit fine - if not I'll need longer and narrower.

Gonna need a **** ton of carbon to close of the area from the engine though!:001_tt1:
It'll be back to back tested with everything on the rollers as always to prove what does and doesnt work.

(* ignoring additional surface area from pletes)

I didn't remove the bottom of the oem tray on mine.

This is the only picture I've got of the test fit.

20130224_103431_zpsva1d008o.jpg

Last edited:
cheers, I am however trying to avoid using 90deg bends anywhere though and use the proper inlet pipe from the V6 box, I think this is one of the most important aspects to incorporate.

cheers, I am however trying to avoid using 90deg bends anywhere though and use the proper inlet pipe from the V6 box, I think this is one of the most important aspects to incorporate.

I do agree. The oem bend is much better than using a 90 degree. I wasn't too worried at the time, my thinking was that on gas I had around 250bhp, that made me happy; )

Well my thinking was OEM was better than 90, but saying that my ITG is costing me 10bhp right now (proven on the rollers). True I don't know if it's the box itself or the OEM bend...? but frankly I don't care which now!
I think V6 pipe is the best of the 3 so that's going to feature on the next setup.

I can't think about NOS without thinking about the scene at the Racers Edge lol

I didn't remove the bottom of the oem tray on mine.

This is the only picture I've got of the test fit.

20130224_103431_zpsva1d008o.jpg
Fernandez, can you tell me more about your NOS setup? How did it perform? Any issues?

My mates are trying to get me to install WON in the car for years now, but I don't like it. It feels like "cheating" to me. :smile:

Need to watch if the bottle is full or empty, open valve or closed, warm or cold...it's a hassle but I could live with it if it's worth it. :wink:

Last edited:
Fernandez, can you tell me more about your NOS setup? How did it perform? Any issues?

My mates are trying to get me to install WON in the car for years now, but I don't like it. It feels like "cheating" to me. :smile:

Need to watch if the bottle is full or empty, open valve or closed, warm or cold...it's a hassle but I could live with it if it's worth it. :wink:

Both require an extensive reply which will be a mare on my phone. Once I'm hooked up to a laptop in the morning i'll report back.