What a month!

So late January, my 60 reg GW full fat is getting towards it's 24k service. I book it in with Fred as he's much cheaper and great quality. I also took advantage of the BTM burger from the Punchbowl in Lapworth - very nice!

Anyway, during the service Fred spots a couple of warranty issues; leaky VVT solenoid seal, leaky rockers seal and a leaky NSF suspension. I'm a little shocked at the suspension fault (sorry couldn't resist!) as it should last longer than 24k.

But with a BTM report I pop into my local dealer (Warwick) to be told, they can see my car (£87 charge if nothing is found), but not until March 1st... A month away! And they don't think any of the items are warranty issues. The computer said no!

Pondering what to do I phone Renault UK to see if I can get any more clarity - I'd rather not drive around on a leaky suspension part for a month! Now if anyone here has need to phone Renault UK, I can tell you that they've been great. Stephanie was my main contact and went to the trouble of reassuring me and sorting out a dealer to look at the car.

The same evening Sutton Park Coventry phone me to book the car in. Two weeks away, but it's better than a month.

Fast forward to this Tuesday. I bring my car over for 8am. Nervous, yet hopeful everything will be covered under warranty. I had Fred's report and a photo of the suspension part to help speed things along. I leave the car with them and 11am the same day I get a call to tell me everything will be covered. Cue me being very happy! :smile:

:liambo::liambo:

I'm also told the Cam belt will be renewed as well. This will be the third cam belt on this car, but at least it won't need doing for another 5 years!

But they need to keep the car until EOD Wednesday to do the work. Okay suspension is a big job, so I tell them no problem. I kind of expected a extra day anyway.

By 3pm ish on Wednesday I've not heard anything, so I phone the dealer about the progress. Yes sir, difficulty, car in parts, going to take us longer than thought, this is a special car which we don't want to mess up now do we sir.... oh and we need another day (those are the key points at least!)

Okay. I shouldn't fuss, they are after all picking up the tab. Cue Thurs afternoon when I ring again. Yes sir, difficulty, car in parts, going to take us longer than we thought, this is a special car which we don't want to mess up now do we sir.... oh and the workshop had other jobs to finish. Need another day.

So I decided to phone RUK, just as an update mainly, but they do tell me that they have been in contact with SP Cov and told the car won't get on the ramp until Friday....huh? I though it was already in pieces? Am I being told fibs?

Friday comes and although SP Cov did tell me they'd ring first thing.....nothing. So I have another chat with RUK - did I mention they're great? They talk with the dealer for me and update their records. Especially about the cambelt replacement which even they hadn't been told about - more confusion?
But even so, SP Cov won't have the car ready until EOD. Well I've waited this long, a few more hours aren't going to kill me!

But the story has a good end. The car is back. It drives like new and I'm pleased (but will go out for a proper shake down in the morning). At the moment i can't fault the work and the car feels great, so kudos to the mechanics. But the customer service....What is it with dealers? I just wish they could of told me the truth! Really guys i wouldn't have minded! instead you insist on messing me around for 4 days!

Still I am over the moon this is all covered under warranty and felt the need to let everyone know that RUK do look after us.

Moral of the story - Fred is great, RUK is great, I'm happy - the dealer needs to work on their communication skills!

Apologies for the length of the post!

Last edited:
Fred that looked at your car would that be fred hopkins ?? If so he is a friend of a friend of mine and that burger from the punchbowl is the best burger around, glad you got uour car back finaly !

Dan

Brilliant news!

Gives some piece of mind that things will get covered under warranty

Fred that looked at your car would that be fred hopkins ?? If so he is a friend of a friend of mine and that burger from the punchbowl is the best burger around, glad you got uour car back finaly !

Dan

Yes Dan - that's the Fred. And that burger is amazing!

Brilliant news!

Gives some piece of mind that things will get covered under warranty

Indeed. As I said (and something I'll repeat to RUK), just slightly better dealer communication would have made the whole process excellent.

I didn't think suspension would tbh, I'm surprised. In a good way of course :smiley: lol

Not all dealers are like and it's finding the one that isn't.

My 200 is in at the mo. system says part will come Wednesday and I've been told that but if it comes in earlier they will do it then.

But your correct it isn't difficult to go in what they are told in stead of going on hopeful estimates.

RUK are usually great, but the piss poor communication from the dealership is about par for the course with Renault in my experience.

Why did they say they were going to change your cam belt?

All's well that ends well. I've only dealt with RUK once and they were superb, backed me to the hilt against the dealers and within a few days I had a grovelling phonecall from the dealership offering me some free parts and a free service. It's a shame, like you say, that the dealers have to be so bloody awkward. Maybe the main RRG dealers are better, my experience was based on a Lookers franchise.

All's well that ends well. I've only dealt with RUK once and they were superb, backed me to the hilt against the dealers and within a few days I had a grovelling phonecall from the dealership offering me some free parts and a free service. It's a shame, like you say, that the dealers have to be so bloody awkward. Maybe the main RRG dealers are better, my experience was based on a Lookers franchise.

very true!

the dealer that just point blank says its not warranty - they dont know what they are talking about or dont want to do the job - shocking in this day and age as the number of dealers and garages are closing so you think they need all the work they can get....:001_unsure:

in a way the dealership experience has failed at the first hurdle and more amazingly ruk then have to sort it out :swear:

RUK are usually great, but the piss poor communication from the dealership is about par for the course with Renault in my experience.

Why did they say they were going to change your cam belt?

They didn't say! Even RUK wasn't told about the cam belt. My guess is they found something deeper than Fred's visual inspection, but that's just a guess - I'm the last person you want poking around in an engine bay!!

very true!

the dealer that just point blank says its not warranty - they dont know what they are talking about or dont want to do the job - shocking in this day and age as the number of dealers and garages are closing so you think they need all the work they can get....:001_unsure:

in a way the dealership experience has failed at the first hurdle and more amazingly ruk then have to sort it out :swear:

But like I said on the RS site, the more that close the more business the others get. So in affect it doesn't matter how crap there service is most are forced into them.

Why do you think I only use Brian Leightons?

Service is exceptional and when I dropped the 200 in on Wednesday I didn't even give my name. They knew who I was and what I was there for.

I've had an update every day from them saying what is and isn't happening and why.

As a result they have had several £1000 worth of work (some warranty and some paid for) off me in the last 3 months.

I know some other well trusted garages in the area that have bodged jobs of late and as such I wouldn't put my car in that situation even though I had good experiences in the past.

They didn't say! Even RUK wasn't told about the cam belt. My guess is they found something deeper than Fred's visual inspection, but that's just a guess - I'm the last person you want poking around in an engine bay!!

they most likely removed the top cam cover and resealed it - to do that you have to disturb the cambelt...

Glad your sorted now but as you say, it's the dealers comunication that needs work, i had same.

I bet they hate it when you ring RUK up and they have to pass on the bollocking.

How come its on 3 cambelts after such low mileage?
Glad you got it sorted now though fella.

The first cambelt was at the 12k service. Something leaked on it. I posted here at the time as did the guy who worked on it. Will try and dig that out if you're interested.

I've another conversavion with RUK on Monday, but Si's explanation sounds correct.

Oh - and the car feels great!

Naa mate your ok I just got worried as I've only just had myn an always had vauxhalls so still learning renaults an panicked when I read that.