What Petrol Are You Using?

What Fuel/Where From? (Sorry if I missed any)

• Total voters

JamesB

Platinum Member
I have recently decided to change from supermarket unleaded do a higher octane fuel.. I was also wondering whether you think it has any difference to performance/MPG etc... In my opinion the throttle is a bit more responsive in higher gears and I think it sounds a bit louder than normal as well, but I'm not sure, what do you think about higher octane an premium fuels?

wouldnt tell you as i have never used anything else than shell high octane petrol..

Not sure about sounding louder, or the throttle response, but more efficient, certainly. I use any high octane fuel that is available nearest to me when I run out.

I put V Power but actually it's all Nitro+ now isn't it, as far as the Shell website shows there is no V Power only anymore.

I wish we had Nitro+ or VPower here. The highest octane we have is 97ron. When I was in England last year I filled up with Nitro+ and to me it was a hell of a lot better than the rubbish we get here.

Tesco 99 (Momentum) for me. I've not used "normal unleaded" since owning the car so don't really have a comparison. I used V-Power for the first tank or so, but once I noticed 99 Momentum was quite a bit cheaper (at my local fuel garages at least anyway), I started using Momentum.

on my old 172 anytime i had some spare money i would use super unleaded and found it ran soo much better but i couldnt always keep up due to the prices how ever ive had my 200 a year now and at the start of the year i decided that if i have £40 to fuel my car whatever i choose im going to put £40 worth in i know the pence per litre is obviously higher on super but i set myself the challenge of keeping the car running on super 4 months in my car feels a lot smoother i wouldn't say the mpg has improved great ammounts but it's gone up anout .2/.3 i would say its definatly worth it :smile:

Vpower on mine seeing as it's mapped to it.

One thing that annoys me ALOT is when people say I can't afford to put vpower all the time yet it's only £5 difference from normal fuel to vpower on a full tank, my girlfriend use to do it when she had her swift sport and it use to grind on me, thankfully she only uses vpower in the 200 now

Morrisons fuel as I get points and money of my shop plus shell is to far away. It does the same job.

Have any of you seen the test 5th gear did a couple of years back?

They tested Asda 95, Esso Supreme 97, BP 95, BP Ultimate 97 and Shell V power using a MKV Golf GTI.

Asda worst at 235.8 bhp
BP 236.1 bhp
BP Ultimate 236.7 bhp
Esso Supreme 240.5 bhp
Shell 240.9 bhp

So yes, Shell is best. But it's unlikely you'll feel much of a difference. Having said that, I always use either Nitro + or Tesco Momentum. It a tuned 5 pot turbo, i'm sure it makes a big difference!