What Revs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve posted about this on another thread but got no answers…

I’ve got a 2010 Clio 197 RS, I’m the fourth owner and know nothing about any modifications it may but suspect a remapping. This is mainly because I find it hard to believe that a 100% stock car like this would have the rev counter on 3500rpm whilst going 70mph in 6th gear on a motorway. If I’m wrong, please correct me!

what do your 197’s do in the same situation? 3500 in 6th at 70? Really???

I’m not offended in the slightest, I’m enjoying your contributions [emoji1360]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m glad. I just find a 6 gear car doing 3500rpm at 70 in 6th offensive - and so does my wallet! I mean the top speed is only 134! Makes zero sense! But anyway, it is what it is. I thought my car might be faulty or modified in a way that may cause that but obviously not. The previous owner kept going on about track days with it so I assumed he’d messed about with it a bit!

As has been suggested the aggressive throttle might be either a remap or sprint booster which you should be able to find the controller for and adjust https://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=7926. The car isn't the best motorway cruiser but on a good B road or track it punches well above its weight.

If its had the belts done and the suspension is in good condition so no creaks clonks and it stays straight under braking its a good fun cheapish car plus people on this forum are very helpful.

Its not a Honda granted but the chassis more than makes up for that.

As has been suggested the aggressive throttle might be either a remap or sprint booster which you should be able to find the controller for and adjust https://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=7926. The car isn't the best motorway cruiser but on a good B road or track it punches well above its weight.

If its had the belts done and the suspension is in good condition so no creaks clonks and it stays straight under braking its a good fun cheapish car plus people on this forum are very helpful.

Its not a Honda granted but the chassis more than makes up for that.
I agree and a Honda Civic type R of any age or model cannot belittle a Clio 197RS since they handle like an empty carrier bag in a hurricane and the Clio holds the road amazingly for a FWD car.

The only Honda I’ve ever really loved is the S2000 - even today it looks awesome (in a decent colour). However, the only real comparison between that and the Clio is that they are both cars! Like for like, the Civic is crap. I’ve owned the 2nd one (2002 version) and it was just straight line speed. I like a car that requires skill to drive and which drives well when the driver is good enough to utilise its strong points… the Civic is a badly made car with powerful engine, unsafe, poorly built body, hopeless in a crash (they crumple like an ice cream cone). S2000 was hand built and very strong - mine got sandwiched between two cars when a van driver smashed into the back of it when I was stuck at a red light! It only cost £1500 to repair and that was at a Honda garage - when it happened I was expecting it to be a write off (and my head was spinning following impact).

Sorry to go on! I’ve had an eventful driving life!

Reactions: Stew
remarkably still lower than your s2000 though :tearsofjoy:
Just one point about that… I don’t remember what it was revving at in those days at 70mph because I was a lot better off… but the car red lined at 8000 and VTEC didn’t kick in until 6000 so 3500 wasn’t really high revs for that car anyway. It was good on fuel if you didn’t go to 6000 revs - which you hardly ever needed to do if you weren’t looking for races.

I never take my Clio past 6500 anyway. Red lining is never the optimum way to get peak performance but I’m sure you guys here all know that anyway. What’s the best place to take it near London? I’ve only been to Santa Pod which is much too far and that was in 2006!

Does anyone here go there?
By the way, I saw a 2007 197RS last night but it had quite small exhausts pointing downwards whereas mine has a sort of cover with chrome pipes - I guess this is just something Renault added to later models?

The rear diffusers are different on 197s and 200s.

197s have slash cut exhaust tips that extend past the diffuser. 200 Exhausts feed in to the diffuser and have two exhaust rings built in to the diffuser.

The rear diffusers are different on 197s and 200s.

197s have slash cut exhaust tips that extend past the diffuser. 200 Exhausts feed in to the diffuser and have two exhaust rings built in to the diffuser.
Mine sounds more like the 200! I’m so confused! When I entered the other car’s reg into the motor app it said 197 but mine says Clio Renaultsport… plus I was told 197s were up to 2009 and mine is a 2010? So I have a 200???

Status
Not open for further replies.