Where's the cost go doing the meg conversion

OK so on the hunt for bits. some bits I'm unsure about so anyone in the no please chip in. I have basically Meg engine turbo and box Inc ecu loom. alternator bracket there but that's it. I think I need to use my Clio alt? also need to change rocker cover over? if someone can give me list of those sort of things to make it easy to slap in without forgetting a mount or something!

You need the Clio timing belt cover, not the rocker cover, in order to use the clio upper engine mount.
Yes, you need to use the Clio alternator as the Megane alternator makes the battery light flicker.
You can use your existing Clio bottom engine mount, but use the Megane gearbox mount.
Clio radiator is fine (has been so far for mine), but a custom alloy one would be ideal (thicker and longer, but same height as the Clio radiator).
Exhaust-wise, I'm running Megane downpipe and link pipe, into Clio sports cat and Clio exhaust. Make sure you use plenty of heat-proof sheeting on the bulkhead behind the turbo. Ideally you'd also have the turbo and downpipe ceramic-coated, but wrapping is fine.
You'll need to move the header tank. If you have air-con and are keeping it you just move the standard tank to behind the battery, otherwise use a Clio 182 tank and mount it next to the upper engine mount.
You'll have to chop the inlet pipe down a little (the one the air filter attaches to) to make it fit. I just used a silicone one from ebay for £50.
You'll need to change the wiring slightly for the reverse lights as the Megane switch wiring is slightly different (no idea exactly what needs done as I don't do wiring...). Also, use plenty of heat-proof tape on the wiring for protection.
If I think of anything else I'll post it in here, otherwise just give me a shout.

You need the Clio timing belt cover, not the rocker cover, in order to use the clio upper engine mount.
Yes, you need to use the Clio alternator as the Megane alternator makes the battery light flicker.
You can use your existing Clio bottom engine mount, but use the Megane gearbox mount.
Clio radiator is fine (has been so far for mine), but a custom alloy one would be ideal (thicker and longer, but same height as the Clio radiator).
Exhaust-wise, I'm running Megane downpipe and link pipe, into Clio sports cat and Clio exhaust. Make sure you use plenty of heat-proof sheeting on the bulkhead behind the turbo. Ideally you'd also have the turbo and downpipe ceramic-coated, but wrapping is fine.
You'll need to move the header tank. If you have air-con and are keeping it you just move the standard tank to behind the battery, otherwise use a Clio 182 tank and mount it next to the upper engine mount.
You'll have to chop the inlet pipe down a little (the one the air filter attaches to) to make it fit. I just used a silicone one from ebay for £50.
You'll need to change the wiring slightly for the reverse lights as the Megane switch wiring is slightly different (no idea exactly what needs done as I don't do wiring...). Also, use plenty of heat-proof tape on the wiring for protection.
If I think of anything else I'll post it in here, otherwise just give me a shout.
Thanks Sean. I.meant timing cover, this man cold is affecting my brain. won't keep air-con so does that make a difference to which bracket I use?

Last edited:
Did you do you're swap yourself?

Nope, but I had a hand in it. I've also been fixing the little niggles, just little things I'm not happy with like wiring etc and placement of bits and pieces. The conversion isn't actually that difficult to be honest as long as the preparation is right.

I've done quite a few engines out before and a couple of MI16 205 conversions years ago so I'm OK with that side of it. but my garage is full of my plumbing crap so I'm renting a ramp in a garage to get the swap done in a weekend hopefully then will trailer it back to sort wiring at home. so more than anything don't want to get caught short missing bits and me paying for space Sat on a ramp

You could buy a pre-made wiring loom from K-Tec, but it's not cheap. Depends how confident you are in doing wiring! I sent my ecu to RS Tuning to be recoded, you just send them your Clio ecu and the Megane ecu. Mine was £90 with next-day delivery.

You could buy a pre-made wiring loom from K-Tec, but it's not cheap. Depends how confident you are in doing wiring! I sent my ecu to RS Tuning to be recoded, you just send them your Clio ecu and the Megane ecu. Mine was £90 with next-day delivery.
Nope don't do wiring. being a plumber my life rule is keep away.lol. I just was hoping to get it mechanical ly done and back in a weekend . I have the megane loom so someone else can deal with that

I was lucky in that the garage who did mine had another Megane-engined Clio in so they just copied the wiring from that, otherwise I probably would have just bought the pre-made loom.

I was lucky in that the garage who did mine had another Megane-engined Clio in so they just copied the wiring from that, otherwise I probably would have just bought the pre-made loom.
Ah don't think I will be that lucky. doubt there's another megd Clio in Cornwall

So I use the megane downpipe which replaces the cat? What is the link pipe?