Which Second Car? - Having Issues with Evans Halshaw

307 have a bad reputation for electrical faults......

The 307 had a score of 65 I think, compared to the Megane's 118. The lower the score the better and warranty direct pay out 50% of their bills for electrical faults on the Megane, where as on the 307 the highest percentage (about 20%) is for suspension faults. So according to that, the 307 is a MUCH safer bet.

My Mazda is rated at 48, so is better than both, but I've had more faults on mine than my Renaults.

The early Peugeot 307s were 2.0 hdi in 90 and 110 bhp mainly look for a Rapier or S model it has everything you need a/c etc. The later engine is 1.6 and still produces 90 and 110 bhp and if you can find one of these its a better engine, lower tax etc. Peugeot did try to use their own electrical wiring on early models and it showed lol, dodgy indicators and stuff but later ones use a Bosch system like everyone else does. If you find one mate I can hpi check it for you.

The early Peugeot 307s were 2.0 hdi in 90 and 110 bhp mainly look for a Rapier or S model it has everything you need a/c etc. The later engine is 1.6 and still produces 90 and 110 bhp and if you can find one of these its a better engine, lower tax etc. Peugeot did try to use their own electrical wiring on early models and it showed lol, dodgy indicators and stuff but later ones use a Bosch system like everyone else does. If you found one mate I can hip check it for you.

Sweet, thanks dude. What are they like reliability wise? I forgot you worked for Peugeot. I had a 406 estate last year and I though it was great. It had done over 120k but everything worked and it still drove nicely. Admittedly the clutch was a bit heavy, but other than that it was cracking.

How about an Audi A4 tdi Avant.... I've just picked up a 54 Plate and not for much over your budget, its done a few miles but having run a Skoda Octavia past the 200,000 mile point and this is essentially the same car I am taking a chance.

Come on Arran just grow a pair, you know you want a 172 for that price...

Seem ok mate the hdi engines are pretty bomb proof as long as your have some evidence of servicing etc usual wear and tear stuff but I think bits are cheap enough from motor factors etc.

Mike, seriously I would have one tomorrow, but it's the in laws and the dog we need something sensible with plenty of room.

VW Bora??

No one wants them because of the boot - but essentially a VW Golf for half the price! (well a lot less)

Look quite smart some of them....

Fits all your requirements and will be far more reliable and better built than a Peugeot 307 - will also hold the value more.

Can pick them up for all prices now.. lots of engine choice too...

5 door, big boot, VW quality...

The Bora is a 4 door saloon, so the Doberman won't fit in the boot! Lol! Well she might, bit I'll probably get reported for animal cruelty. So needs to be a hatch or estate.

lol - forgot about your dog - back seats?

MGZR, 307, I'd still consider a fiesta or a lower spec Golf.

Megane?

Last edited:
I know i'm biased (because I owned one) but I still think the 307 is a great buy.

The reason I bought it in the first place was because you couldn't get a VW, Seat etc etc of the same spec, age, performance, mileage for anywhere near the same price. I also preferred it's looks to it's competitors.

Atm it's looking like a 307 or a Megane. From what I've seen/read the 307 seems to be a more reliable, practical, cheaper option. My missus has seen one she likes, just need to go & look at it. Plus convince the in laws it's better than a bloody scenic!

Still not managed to find the right car. Been to look at loads, found a good car, but even it was perfect or right for us, it had patchy service history, was a little higher mileage than we wanted and my father in law didn't like the colour.

Went to look at one and just couldn't believe the dealer had the idiocy to even put it up for sale, it was a right heap. Looked great on the photo's and I'm sure if I spent £1k on putting it right it'd be great, but jesus!

I can't understand how people can sell cars in such condition as some I'm seeing.

Kind of dismissed the Megane due to various reasons, so just been looking at 307s. Anyone know to any good un's for sale?

Still not managed to find the right car. Been to look at loads, found a good car, but even it was perfect or right for us, it had patchy service history, was a little higher mileage than we wanted and my father in law didn't like the colour.

Went to look at one and just couldn't believe the dealer had the idiocy to even put it up for sale, it was a right heap. Looked great on the photo's and I'm sure if I spent £1k on putting it right it'd be great, but jesus!

I can't understand how people can sell cars in such condition as some I'm seeing.

Kind of dismissed the Megane due to various reasons, so just been looking at 307s. Anyone know to any good un's for sale?

What spec & engine? Also, what's the budget? I've seen a couple for sale round here recently so i'll keep a look out.

Ideally want a 1.6 HDi S 5 door with less than 80k on the clock, in good condition with service history. Budget is as close to £3k as possible.

172 :smile: Plenty of room in the boot for the dog. Our german shepherd/husky fits in there fine.
I also like the MG ZR's. But it looks like you've settled on a 307 now.

Do you want facelift or pre-facelift?

This looks to be a good one, but it's pre-facelift. Sounds like it has decent history, and the belts have been done.